First Precept as it relates to dietary choices in Buddhism

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
KirstynD

First Precept as it relates to dietary choices in Buddhism

Post by KirstynD »

1. Refrain from taking life.

In my understanding this would be the primary source of validity in practicing a vegetarian or vegan diet as it correlates to the preservation of each individual life force, including those inherent in animals. Would anyone be willing to further direct me to the root of vegetarianism/veganism in the Buddhist practice.
dharmacorps

Re: First Precept as it relates to dietary choices in Buddhism

Post by dharmacorps »

"life force" is not really something discussed in the suttas or spoken of by the Buddha. It is mainly a judeo christian "soul" idea which seems to have been injected into the issue of western vegetarianism/buddhism. I would recommend reading the wikipedia article on vegetarianism in Buddhism and if you want to wade into the murky depths, read the "great vegetarian debate" thread on here.

TLDR: Vegetarian was not practiced by the Buddha (he ate whatever was offered to him as an alms mendicant) and was never required of his students (he expressed this explicitly). Later schools changed their mind hundreds of years after his death. The act of killing is separate from the act of consuming already available meat.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

KirstynD wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:19 pm 1. Refrain from taking life.

In my understanding this would be the primary source of validity in practicing a vegetarian or vegan diet as it correlates to the preservation of each individual life force, including those inherent in animals. Would anyone be willing to further direct me to the root of vegetarianism/veganism in the Buddhist practice.
I don't think there is a "root of vegetarianism/veganism" in what the Buddha taught. He was not, as far as we know, vegetarian himself, and resisted vegetarianism being made compulsory for monastics. Nevertheless, lots of Buddhists choose to express their respect for animal life and wellbeing through dietary restrictions.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

KirstynD wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:19 pm 1. Refrain from taking life.

In my understanding this would be the primary source of validity in practicing a vegetarian or vegan diet as it correlates to the preservation of each individual life force, including those inherent in animals.
Correct. The 1st precept appears about the preservation of each individual life force. The Pali word is "pāṇātipātī", which means "atipātī" ("destroyer") of "pāṇa" ("breath"; "life").

in Buddhism, other words for "life force" include "āyu", "āyusaṅkhāra and "jiva".
KirstynD wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:19 pm Would anyone be willing to further direct me to the root of vegetarianism/veganism in the Buddhist practice.
What i posted above is the root of vegetarianism/veganism in the Buddhist practice. The Buddha provided a general instruction to not take life; however the Buddha did not give explicit instruction in respect to food because it can be very difficult at times for people to acquire enough food to survive. However, the Buddha explicitly forbade his monks to accept any meat that was known or suspected to be killed specifically for the monks to eat. In summary, where sufficient vegetarian food is available, it certainly accords with Buddhist practice to be vegetarian. :)
Last edited by DooDoot on Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati