What resources about Buddhism are the best?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
LukeS

What resources about Buddhism are the best?

Post by LukeS »

Hello everyone,
I’m donating my books about Buddhism to a friend’s fundraiser for charity. What are some good online resources that explain the basics Buddhism and how can I access the core teachings of the Buddha? Many thanks :anjali:

Metta,
Luke
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: What resources about Buddhism are the best?

Post by Sam Vara »

There's always this thread!
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148
Jeff_

Post by Jeff_ »

LukeS wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:02 pm Hello everyone,
I’m donating my books about Buddhism to a friend’s fundraiser for charity. What are some good online resources that explain the basics Buddhism and how can I access the core teachings of the Buddha? Many thanks :anjali:

Metta,
Luke
Hi Luke,

Dhammatalks.org and forestdhamma.org are two that I like. These sites have all their material online, and will also send free hard copies of books on request. Also, I don't know where you got the books you are giving to your friend, but many Dhamma books have the note "for free distribution only" or something similar. Books like that shouldn't be sold, even for a charitable fundraiser, because it is against the wishes of the people who worked to make the books freely available, as an example and expression of the Buddha's core teaching on generosity. Of course if you bought the books from a bookstore I guess different etiquette might apply.
Last edited by Jeff_ on Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
LukeS

Post by LukeS »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:00 pm There's always this thread!
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148
Hi Sam,
thank you for the reminder!
Jeff_ wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:12 am
Hi Luke,

Dhammatalks.org and forestdhamma.org are two that I like. These sites have all their material online, and will also send free hard copies of books on request. Also, I don't know where you got the books you are giving to your friend, but many Dhamma books have the note "for free distribution only" or something similar. Books like that shouldn't be sold, even for a charitable fundraiser, because it is against the wishes of the people who worked to make the books freely available, as an example and expression of the Buddha's core teaching on generosity. Of course if you bought the books from a bookstore I guess different etiquette might apply.
Oh right! I didn’t know that. I bought my books from WHSmith, Amazon etc. They’re from Wisdom publishers. Is that okay?
Many thanks,
Luke
Jeff_

Post by Jeff_ »

LukeS wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:43 pm Oh right! I didn’t know that. I bought my books from WHSmith, Amazon etc. They’re from Wisdom publishers. Is that okay?
Many thanks,
Luke
The books you bought from Wisdom wouldn’t have the “free distribution only” stipulation, so in that sense it is OK. There’s the line in the Dhammapada
“The gift of Dhamma excels all other gifts”
-Dhp 354
Have you considered donating directly to the charitable fundraiser your friend is holding, and saving the books either for yourself at a later time, or to give away to friends who you think might benefit from the teachings they contain (or even for your friend to offer freely to anyone interested as part of the fundraiser)? It is interesting you asked about core teachings of the Buddha, because it doesn’t get any more core than the teachings on generosity (dana):
It’s well known that dana lies at the beginning of Buddhist practice. Dana, quite literally, has kept the Dhamma alive. If it weren’t for the Indian tradition of giving to mendicants, the Buddha would never have had the opportunity to explore and find the path to Awakening. The monastic sangha wouldn’t have had the time and opportunity to follow his way. Dana is the first teaching in the graduated discourse: the list of topics the Buddha used to lead listeners step‐by‐ step to an appreciation of the four noble truths, and often from there to their own first taste of Awakening. When stating the basic principles of karma, he would begin with the statement, “There is what is given.”

- from the essay No Strings Attached: The Buddha’s Culture of Generosity by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Just something to consider :smile:
LukeS

Post by LukeS »

I’m donating them through Ziffit, the proceeds go towards the cause... I’m selling all the books I own so I would consider it generosity :) Also I would consider it more eco friendly because they sell the books secondhand.

I don’t want to push an agenda onto other people, I prefer helping others through kindness which will encourage more kindness in return!
Mudita1

Post by Mudita1 »

Basic Buddhism - there are many online resources
Core Buddha Teachings - may refer to 5 Nikaya, Sumyutta Nikaya especially.