Anxiety, its forms and manifestations

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
bhooooo

Anxiety, its forms and manifestations

Post by bhooooo »

Hi,
always been a person prone to anxiety and excessive worrying. Through meditation I have been observing its physical sensations and different mental manifestations. For instance, in my case I notice it arises as tension in the chest area. Mental manifestations take a variety of aspects: I experienced relationships and objects fading away in nightmares, dissolving into nothingness. I have seen my body age and become dust and I have witnessed the home where I live crumble on itself.

I am reaching out to understand whether someone experienced similar phenomena. I'm curious to understand whether it's best to manage these episodes or observe them as impermanent. The more I meditate the more I feel alive, yet realize the bliss of ignorance.
Aloka

Re: Anxiety, its forms and manifestations

Post by Aloka »

Hi bhooo,

I wonder if this talk from Ajahn Sumedho might be helpful for you: "Fear and Doubt."

https://insighttimer.com/ajahnsumedho/g ... -and-doubt

With metta,

Aloka :anjali:

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

bhooooo wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:32 pm Hi,
always been a person prone to anxiety and excessive worrying. Through meditation I have been observing its physical sensations and different mental manifestations. For instance, in my case I notice it arises as tension in the chest area. Mental manifestations take a variety of aspects: I experienced relationships and objects fading away in nightmares, dissolving into nothingness. I have seen my body age and become dust and I have witnessed the home where I live crumble on itself.

I am reaching out to understand whether someone experienced similar phenomena. I'm curious to understand whether it's best to manage these episodes or observe them as impermanent. The more I meditate the more I feel alive, yet realize the bliss of ignorance.
Without a much longer and possibly more intrusive conversation, it's hard to tell what you mean by these "mental manifestations" of the anxiety. You might be referring to a sort of guided fantasy or meditation which you voluntarily embarked upon; or you might be talking about frighteningly real hallucinations or visions which happen often, and which you have no control over. I guess you are talking about something closer to the latter, as you mention "managing" them.

One thing that they may well be associated with is drug use. Apologies if this doesn't apply in your case. But if it does, it might take years to subside and all I can suggest is tranquillity meditation; something like mindfulness of breathing, focusing on the beautiful sensations of the breath.

Another aspect is whether you have a stressful job or lifestyle. That can spill out in lots of unexpected ways.

You should certainly see these episodes as impermanent, because they surely are. Reflect on the fact that whereas you have talked about "experiencing" and "seeing" these things happen, you didn't experience or see them, because they didn't actually happen. You had some kind of fantasy or imaginative construction of them happening, a fiction that your mind produced. That's all it was, and if I were you I would start a gentle search for the conditions for these things arising. Gently remove the conditions, and they will stop arising.

I wish you all the best with it. :heart: :anjali:
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

I think you should seek professional help. It looks like you are not well (you seem fearful of losing your things like home, relationships, etc., right?) in a way that a professional could help you get out of it. Ok? I hope you soon get rid of anxiety so you feel better. :anjali:
Last edited by mjaviem on Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

I also feel anxiety in my heart from time to time. It appears as an emptiness or an acceleration of my heart beat.

I have found that by locating the “apex” at the bottom of the heart, you can relieve anxiety by letting go of stress in that area.

Talk to your doctor about a benzodiazepine called “clonazepam”.

And here’s an option for you too. Psilocybin mushrooms at “micro-doses” are believed to treat anxiety and depression. It works very well for my wife.
“Monk, the property of light, the property of beauty, the property of the dimension of the infinitude of space, the property of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, the property of the dimension of nothingness: These properties are to be reached as perception attainments.[2] The property of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception is to be reached as a remnant-of-fabrications attainment. The property of the cessation of feeling & perception is to be reached as a cessation attainment."[3]

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
bhooooo

Post by bhooooo »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:09 pm
Without a much longer and possibly more intrusive conversation, it's hard to tell what you mean by these "mental manifestations" of the anxiety. You might be referring to a sort of guided fantasy or meditation which you voluntarily embarked upon; or you might be talking about frighteningly real hallucinations or visions which happen often, and which you have no control over. I guess you are talking about something closer to the latter, as you mention "managing" them.

One thing that they may well be associated with is drug use. Apologies if this doesn't apply in your case. But if it does, it might take years to subside and all I can suggest is tranquillity meditation; something like mindfulness of breathing, focusing on the beautiful sensations of the breath.

Another aspect is whether you have a stressful job or lifestyle. That can spill out in lots of unexpected ways.

You should certainly see these episodes as impermanent, because they surely are. Reflect on the fact that whereas you have talked about "experiencing" and "seeing" these things happen, you didn't experience or see them, because they didn't actually happen. You had some kind of fantasy or imaginative construction of them happening, a fiction that your mind produced. That's all it was, and if I were you I would start a gentle search for the conditions for these things arising. Gently remove the conditions, and they will stop arising.

I wish you all the best with it. :heart: :anjali:
They are definitely guided (and amplified) mental imaginations, developing through rapidly escalating arborescent thoughts. By managing, I mean I realize intellectually they are very very unlikely to happen and carry on my life regardless. For example, I know a well maintained bicycle is unlikely to have its frame snap in two when I descent from a mountain. Likewise, whilst my body will eventually cease to live, it won't do so in two hours when I am anxious.

Isn't life inherently stressful? Also one can't say the last two years helped create and cultivate prosperous scenarios for the future...

mjaviem wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:35 am I think you should seek professional help. It looks like you are not well (you seem fearful of losing your things like home, relationships, etc., right?) in a way that a professional could help you get out of it. Ok? I hope you soon get rid of anxiety so you feel better. :anjali:
I will eventually lose everything when I die. I thank you for your comments however I doubt a professional can help in this case.
bhooooo

Post by bhooooo »

Pondera wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:39 am I also feel anxiety in my heart from time to time. It appears as an emptiness or an acceleration of my heart beat.

I have found that by locating the “apex” at the bottom of the heart, you can relieve anxiety by letting go of stress in that area.

Talk to your doctor about a benzodiazepine called “clonazepam”.

And here’s an option for you too. Psilocybin mushrooms at “micro-doses” are believed to treat anxiety and depression. It works very well for my wife.
Thanks, I'll aim to stay drug free for as long as the anxiety is coping. I'm noticing diet has a very direct impact on my symptoms!

Aloka wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:54 pm
Thanks Aloka for sharing, Fear and Doubt are hindrances I already struggled with in the past. Looking forward to listen to the talk!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

bhooooo wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:26 am
Thanks Aloka for sharing, Fear and Doubt are hindrances I already struggled with in the past. Looking forward to listen to the talk!
You're very welcome. :anjali: