Cultural Differences and the Dhamma

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Red Belly

Cultural Differences and the Dhamma

Post by Red Belly »

First of all, I'm a brand new member and appreciate the treasure trove of information I'm finding here. Thank you for having me!

I don't pretend this is a deep question, but it's one I'm curious about as a beginner trying to navigate huge amounts of new information; I also suspect that my friends and family might ask a similar question and I'd like to be armed with some sort of answer:

Are there any differences in style, content or emphases between the Theravada teachings of different countries? For example, is the style of Thai Buddhism (the one I'm most familiar with) different from, say, that of Burma or Sri Lanka? I'm not suggesting they will differ in essentials, of course. Finally, and I admit this is really only a cultural curiosity, is there a reason some countries' monastics shave their eyebrows (Thais, Sri Lankans?) and others don't (Burmese?). I know at some point my friends are going to ask me this one!

Thank you in advance for any guidance. :anjali:
DooDoot

Re: Cultural Differences and the Dhamma

Post by DooDoot »

Hello

My impression of Sri Lankan Buddhism is it is very strange. For example, my impression is it believes it is not possible for there to be stream-enterers, let alone arahants, in the present time.

My impression is Burmese Buddhism is the extreme opposite, namely, they developed many types of meditation techniques and declare so many practitioners are stream-enterers, even arahants (even though they appear to be not).

My impression of Thailand Buddhism it appears to hold a middle, more realistic, position, since it has had a good recent tradition of forest monks, be they related to Ajahn Mun or, otherwise, Ajahn Buddhadasa.

The respective experiences with Western colonialism give the impression the Thai were more wise & shrewd.

Kind regards
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Red Belly

Post by Red Belly »

I appreciate your response and impressions, DooDoot. Thank you kindly!
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

eyebrow shaving is not mandatory.

Thai: focus on Suttå
Bhikkhu: not hard

Myanmar: focus on Abhidhammå
Bhikkhus life: a little hard

Sri lanka: focus on Vinayå
Bhikkhus life: hard

Not always, but something like that.

if you want to become a vinaya expert,
study in Sri lanka. However, in Sri lanka
there are also experts on Dhammå and
Abhidhammå. Same thing for Thailand
and Myanmar.

Thats a big (three) Theravādås
its call THERAVĀDIN
(Theravādå group/family/clan).
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Yes, they have subtle differences. From the way they dress and carry out their daily activities, to the meditation methods they practice, to the ideological trends that prefer, the level of laxity in their Vinaya procedures, etc.

One small example that I can give... the attitude towards Abhidhamma, cp. Thai vs Lanka and Burma; the differences in methodology between their 20th century 'saints', etc.
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

About eyebrow shaving, I've heard that it originated as a way to prove to society that you're a legitimate bhikkhu--since fakes could and did shave their head and beard without qualms. Apparently bhikkhu imposters were an issue in the past. Eventually I guess this became a trend about showing to the world just how committed one is to the path; sort of ascetic really, like tapas and dhutangas.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Mr. Seek wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:13 pm ... bhikkhu imposters were an issue in the past. ...
Yes. For tackling the issue of military spies from Burma.

• Only Thai monks shave their eyebrows, but why? It’s actually a very recent change within the Thai Buddhist monkhood, only ~200 years ago or so. Supposedly the invading Burmese dressed up soldiers as monks to act as spies, so the Thais had their monks shave their eyebrows to out the Burmese fakes. But . . . I’m not sure if the Burmese quickly figure it out, or what happened to Thai monks that didn’t ‘get the memo’ . . . or even why they still do it despite the war with Burma ending more than a century ago.
    https://blogs.transparent.com/thai/how- ... on-part-2/

• Customarily, Thai monks shave their eyebrows while monks in Burma do not. Burmese monks insist that Buddha never asked monks to shave their eyebrows. "There were many rumors and hearsay," he explains. Instead, he recounts his own version of the story: When the ancient Thai capital Ayutthaya was under siege by Burmese soldiers, some soldiers posed as monks to enter Ayutthaya and gather intelligence. Aware of the infiltration, Thai abbots were ordered to shave their eyebrows so that the spying Burmese would be conspicuous.
    https://www2.irrawaddy.com/article.php? ... 767&page=4

:heart:
Last edited by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta on Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa