Certain Types of Vedanā—Always Neutral?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Sharishi

Certain Types of Vedanā—Always Neutral?

Post by Sharishi »

Hello! I’ve come across several sources that state something like this: vedanā produced by contact at every sense-base besides the tactile body and the mind is neutral at first, and only upon subsequent contact as a mental object can this initial feeling be “re-experienced” as pleasant or unpleasant.

For example, at this blog, it says:

“It should be noted that feelings born of contact with visual objects, sound, smell and taste are always neutral feelings initially but, will become pleasant or unpleasant feelings as a result of the subsequent process of perception. However, feelings born of body contact can lead to pleasant or unpleasant feelings while feelings born of mind contact can lead to pleasant, unpleasant or neutral feelings.”

For another example, at Pure Dhamma, it says:

“At this stage, the mind receives the sensory event. All vēdanā associated with that initial sensory event is a neutral (upekkha) vēdanā.... That holds true for other sensory faculties as well, except for the physical touch (kāya.)”

Is there any source for this idea in the suttas, the abhidhamma, or the commentarial tradition? I’ve seen it a few times, and it makes sense to me, but I’ve never seen it given alongside a reference to anything canonical.

Thanks in advance!
Gwi

Re: Certain Types of Vedanā—Always Neutral?

Post by Gwi »

Vedānā only temporary.
The problem is lust and attachment.
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."