on karma.......

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
confusedsoso

on karma.......

Post by confusedsoso »

I am confused about karma. Can I erase past karma with merit or will karma continue until it comes to fruition. And maybe past bad karma never goes away. What does theravada buddhism say about this.
Ceisiwr

Re: on karma.......

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedsoso wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:15 am I am confused about karma. Can I erase past karma with merit or will karma continue until it comes to fruition. And maybe past bad karma never goes away. What does theravada buddhism say about this.
Upon awakening there will be kamma that never ripens. If someone never awakens then eventually they will experience the results of past Kamma, even if it was performed aeons ago.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:20 am
confusedsoso wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:15 am I am confused about karma. Can I erase past karma with merit or will karma continue until it comes to fruition. And maybe past bad karma never goes away. What does theravada buddhism say about this.
Upon awakening there will be kamma that never ripens. If someone never awakens then eventually they will experience the results of past Kamma, even if it was performed aeons ago.
Based on your opinion and understanding on the Scriptures, what should we do if did committed some wrongdoings like killing ants (many), stealing, etc?
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Ontheway wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:10 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:20 am
Based on your opinion and understanding on the Scriptures, what should we do if did committed some wrongdoings like killing ants (many), stealing, etc?
Reflect on how unwise and unwholesome it was, with a determination not to do the same again.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ontheway wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:10 am Based on your opinion and understanding on the Scriptures, what should we do if did committed some wrongdoings like killing ants (many), stealing, etc?
Now, a trifling evil act done by what sort of individual is experienced in the here & now, and for the most part barely appears for a moment? There is the case where a certain individual is developed in the body, developed in virtue, developed in mind, developed in discernment: unrestricted, large-hearted, dwelling with the immeasurable. A trifling evil act done by this sort of individual is experienced in the here & now, and for the most part barely appears for a moment.

Lonaphala Sutta: The Salt Crystal
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

You cannot erase past karma but making merit will dilute the negative effects, as stated in the salt crystal sutta posted earlier.

I beleive it is also possible to have ahosi kamma, where the karma does not take effect at all. I dont think its actually erased its just that there is nobody for the karma to take effect on anymore. This happens when one attains enlightenment and enters nirvana, in which case they cease to be reborn and the karma never has a chance to take effect since the individual wont be reborn. This happened with Angulimala, who accumulated massive amounts of bad karma as a serial killer and would have suffered many aeons in hell or at least a very bad next life had he not become an arahant in that life. He had some misfortunes in his final life but considering the gravity of his actions he never fully reaped what he sowed as a serial killer since he attained nirvana upon his passing.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

theravada buddhism says the Noble Eightfold Path is the kamma that ends kamma (AN 6.63; SN 35.146). Therefore, if your mind realises the "doer" of past kamma was the "element of ignorance" (SN 45.1) rather than "yourself/myself" (SN 12.17), the effects of past kamma will end.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

You cannot erase past karma but making merit will dilute the negative effects, as stated in the salt crystal sutta posted earlier.

I beleive it is also possible to have ahosi kamma, where the karma does not take effect at all. I dont think its actually erased its just that there is nobody for the karma to take effect on anymore. This happens when one attains enlightenment and enters nirvana, in which case they cease to be reborn and the karma never has a chance to take effect since the individual wont be reborn. This happened with Angulimala, who accumulated massive amounts of bad karma as a serial killer and would have suffered many aeons in hell or at least a very bad next life had he not become an arahant in that life. He had some misfortunes in his final life but considering the gravity of his actions he never fully reaped what he sowed as a serial killer since he attained nirvana upon his passing.

Is it possible that karma is never diluted and sticks with you forever??
asahi

Post by asahi »

confusedsoso wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:27 pm Is it possible that karma is never diluted and sticks with you forever??
Fear of doing bad kamma is good in the beginning , feeling remorse so that one can change to a better course is good .
Let our understanding made simple .
So long as you dont do anything to cultivate the path or wholesome kamma , the chance is there . The heart or mind after being expanded would dilute the effect of past kamma or the vipaka . The best option is to end suffering by ending the self through uprooting ignorance . If there is no continuation of self , the vipaka find no footage .
No bashing No gossiping
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

Fear of doing bad kamma is good in the beginning , feeling remorse so that one can change to a better course is good .
Let our understanding made simple .
So long as you dont do anything to cultivate the path or wholesome kamma , the chance is there . The heart or mind after being expanded would dilute the effect of past kamma or the vipaka . The best option is to end suffering by ending the self through uprooting ignorance . If there is no continuation of self , the vipaka find no footage .

Thank you very much. That makes very much sense.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

confusedsoso wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:27 pm You cannot erase past karma but making merit will dilute the negative effects, as stated in the salt crystal sutta posted earlier.
The Salt Crystal Sutta says:
Now, a trifling evil deed done by what sort of individual is experienced in the here & now, and for the most part barely appears for a moment? There is the case where a certain individual is developed in [contemplating] the body, developed in virtue, developed in mind, developed in discernment: unrestricted, large-hearted, dwelling with the immeasurable. A trifling evil deed done by this sort of individual is experienced in the here & now, and for the most part barely appears for a moment.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

Now, a trifling evil deed done by what sort of individual is experienced in the here & now, and for the most part barely appears for a moment? There is the case where a certain individual is developed in [contemplating] the body, developed in virtue, developed in mind, developed in discernment: unrestricted, large-hearted, dwelling with the immeasurable. A trifling evil deed done by this sort of individual is experienced in the here & now, and for the most part barely appears for a moment.

Yes. That sounds very wise.