Buddhist chanting and its powers

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
thomaslaw

Re: Buddhist chanting and its powers

Post by thomaslaw »

Ontheway wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:13 am For Western Buddhist communities, I don't think they really place any significance on this as they don't really have belief on deities in such secular culture ...
Thanks for your explanation about the invitation to devas/spirits in the traditions. I think Western Buddhist communities do have belief on deities.

I think this Buddhist idea of deities and its connection with the chanting for "protection" or "safeguard" (paritta) for individuals are very inclusive, respectful, understanding, and loving kindness toward all living beings, including demons, non-followers.

But, in contrast, the Semitic religions (such as Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) they think demons, non-believers should be forcefully punished or destroyed in the name and power of the only one true God.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

I'd like to learn pali to understand suttas and recite them in chants. I think chanting lifts one's spirit while bringing a sense of humility. Currently I want to memorize Dhammapada verse 114:
Yo ca vassasataṁ jive
apassaṁ amataṁ padaṁ
ekahaṁ jivitaṁ seyyo
passato amataṁ padaṁ.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
frank k

Post by frank k »

Just as with human benefactors, it's the quality and power of one's virtue that attracts their attention and favor. If you have that, then it doesn't matter what you chant for your invitation, they're likely to listen in or help out if needed.

They can read minds, so one can't lie about or pretend to have virtue. If you truly have metta and wish to do good in the world, they'll feel it and be attracted.

thomaslaw wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:24 am
Ontheway wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:43 pm I used to chant the Suttanta texts with Thai Magadha style. I find it really easy to follow compare to Sri Lankan style or Burmese style.
Your chanting question and responses bring my attention to the Paritta chanting in different Theravada traditions. One of the differences is the invitation to devas/spirits chanting section, which I consider meaningful regarding the idea of Paritta.

I have noticed that in the beginning on the preliminary of Paritta chanting, it has the invitation to devas/spirits chanting section. It seems the contents of this chanting section are not entirely the same in different Pali chanting traditions. Why they are not the same style regarding the chanting words? Any advices?
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Just found a sutta related to chanting. In the sutta, it is said that Nandamata reciting Parayanavagga in the morning and the God Vessavana Maharaja stood by and listen till end.

https://suttacentral.net/an7.53/en/sujato
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This section on Healing as a Result of the Enlightenment Factors may be helpful.

The Bhojjaṅga Parittaṃ is used on occasions of illness.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:13 am This section on Healing as a Result of the Enlightenment Factors may be helpful.

The Bhojjaṅga Parittaṃ is used on occasions of illness.
Dear Bhante, thank you for the info. Normally when I am sick, I will listen to the Paritta chanting (YouTube version, since there are no monks around my area).
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Kjigme

Post by Kjigme »

Where can one learn how to chant the suttas?
We beings here assembled, whether terrestrial or celestial, salute the Accomplished Buddha, honoured by gods and men. May there be happiness!
We beings here assembled, whether terrestrial or celestial, salute the Accomplished Dhamma, honoured by gods and men. May there be happiness!
We beings here assembled, whether terrestrial or celestial, salute the Accomplished Sangha, honoured by gods and men. May there be happiness!

Ratana Sutta
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Kjigme wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:27 pm Where can one learn how to chant the suttas?
YouTube

You can always listen and follow along with the chanting.

There is a variety of style you can choose: Thai, Burmese, Sri Lankan, or even Western (plain reading).
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.