Any Theravada sects/groups that you wouldn't recommend to someone?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Padmist

Any Theravada sects/groups that you wouldn't recommend to someone?

Post by Padmist »

When recommending a Theravada community/temple/center, are there groups that you wouldn't recommend to someone? Either they have fringe beliefs or have bad/political ties, etc. Any group I should be wary of?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Any Theravada sects/groups that you wouldn't recommend to someone?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Be wary of all of them. Take yourself as your refuge, take no other refuge. Take the Dhamma as your refuge, take no other refuge.

If you study carefully, reflect wisely, and practise seriously, you will not listen to gossip or hearsay about this or that teacher or group, but make up your own mind after careful investigation of what they teach, and how they practice.

When my supporters offer me a carton of strawberries or blueberries, If I scoff them all unmindfully, I might eat one or two that are rotten. However, if I eat mindfully, as I should, I can remove the rotten ones and eat only the good ones. If they offer me pitted dates or prunes, I may break my teeth on an occasional stone. It is my duty to take care. I should not blame my supporters or the supermarket for including some fruits with stones. The label on the packaging warns me that there might be some stones remaining.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Wat Phra Dhammakaya
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Padmist wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:12 pm When recommending a Theravada community/temple/center, are there groups that you wouldn't recommend to someone? Either they have fringe beliefs or have bad/political ties, etc. Any group I should be wary of?
As Bhiiku Pesala suggests, the safest way is for you to read and understand Sutta as this is the ultimate source we has believed to be Buddha's word.
Some people even question the validity of Sutta.
So at least you have some faith in Tipitaka to start with your exploration.
Then practice what you read in Sutta and know what is right and wrong.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:14 pm Be wary of all of them. Take yourself as your refuge, take no other refuge. Take the Dhamma as your refuge, take no other refuge.
+1

"Taking refuge means becoming a refugee" - CTR
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Bhante,
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:14 pm When my supporters offer me a carton of strawberries or blueberries, If I scoff them all unmindfully, I might eat one or two that are rotten. However, if I eat mindfully, as I should, I can remove the rotten ones and eat only the good ones.
This is an excellent simile. The converse (that sadly we often see on Forums such as this) is never eating any strawberries, because some are rumoured to be rotten, and going hungry...

Monasteries, and individual monastics, are not perfect. It's essential to realise that. But using that as an excuse to avoid any engagement would mean missing out on many opportunities.

:heart:
Mike
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dhammakaya
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:34 pmDhammakaya
Agreed. Anywhere that holds and teaches Wrong View is to be avoided.

Per Bhikkhu Pesala's post, taking refuge in the Dhamma and studying the Buddha's discourses provides protection against wrongness.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
robertk

Post by robertk »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:14 pm Be wary of all of them. Take yourself as your refuge, take no other refuge. Take the Dhamma as your refuge, take no other refuge.

If you study carefully, reflect wisely, and practise seriously, you will not listen to gossip or hearsay about this or that teacher or group, but make up your own mind after careful investigation of what they teach, and how they practice.

When my supporters offer me a carton of strawberries or blueberries, If I scoff them all unmindfully, I might eat one or two that are rotten. However, if I eat mindfully, as I should, I can remove the rotten ones and eat only the good ones. If they offer me pitted dates or prunes, I may break my teeth on an occasional stone. It is my duty to take care. I should not blame my supporters or the supermarket for including some fruits with stones. The label on the packaging warns me that there might be some stones remaining.
:sage: :anjali: :anjali: :anjali:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

mikenz66 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:28 pm Hi Bhante,
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:14 pm When my supporters offer me a carton of strawberries or blueberries, If I scoff them all unmindfully, I might eat one or two that are rotten. However, if I eat mindfully, as I should, I can remove the rotten ones and eat only the good ones.
This is an excellent simile. The converse (that sadly we often see on Forums such as this) is never eating any strawberries, because some are rumoured to be rotten, and going hungry...

Monasteries, and individual monastics, are not perfect. It's essential to realise that. But using that as an excuse to avoid any engagement would mean missing out on many opportunities.

:heart:
Mike
Agree. I think this applicable for any teaching including Abrahamic religions and Hinduism.
We must be able to chose the good strawberry from the bad.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
asahi

Post by asahi »

Probably which ever teaches wrong view such as secular buddhism .
No bashing No gossiping
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

As Buddhism encourages direct experience and investigation, i dont really discourage anyone from trying anything. Just be weary and if you find anything concerning just leave. I am not aware of any Buddhist groups that dont let people leave anytime they want.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

asahi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:45 am Probably which ever teaches wrong view such as secular buddhism .

Some secular buddhisms are not necessarily wrong, imo, they are just incomplete. On the other hand, teaching incomplete views as the ultimate approach to Buddha's teachings is Wrong, of course.
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

Padmist wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:12 pm When recommending a Theravada community/temple/center, are there groups that you wouldn't recommend to someone? Either they have fringe beliefs or have bad/political ties, etc. Any group I should be wary of?
Secularism destroys all religions.
Mixed Theravādå should be left out
(don't mix it up).

When in Theravādå community,
Just talking about Dhammå
(Suttantå and Abhidhammå)
And the Vinayå, if they don't fit,
and there are a lot of inconsistencies,
you can move.
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

practice sutta... that gives u result
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...