What do do about excessive dreaming?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
dhamma_junkie

What do do about excessive dreaming?

Post by dhamma_junkie »

Hello, all. This is my first post. I went through some previous posts and there are a lot of insights. Thank you!

I would like to know whether there are any particular meditation methods to overcome excessive dreaming. These dreams are not negative or nightmarish per se. but I see them every night. I often feel tired during the day, as a result.

Also, my meditation is not going well, to a point where I'm scared to attempt, out of the fear of "failing". I have had experiences but that was about 10 years ago. Whenever I attempt to meditate, I experience muscle spasms throughout the body, especially the chest, or I would feel like I'm out of breath. The body feels very restless. The mind too: memory and attention span are low. Writing a sentence and adding two numbers can be quite difficult sometimes.

I don't have any major stressors in life, except the chronic fatigue and not being the "perfect son" to my parents and their wish to see me married. I feel that most of my symptoms sound like stress. But, I'm working with a psychologist as well.

Please help with restarting the meditation practice and the excessive dreaming.

:namaste:
robertk

Re: What do do about excessive dreaming?

Post by robertk »

Which is better, to be good at meditation, or to understand the nature of reality, as it is?
befriend

Post by befriend »

There different ways to meditate bhikkhu Analayo uses whole body awareness which might be worth investigating. You simply bring your awareness to what psychologists call the felt sense of the body. Feel the body from inside. This is soon a good reference point to see impermanence of body feelings mental states and 5 hindrances and 5 senses. It's subtly joyful it may be an easier object to meditate with than the breath. I have no idea if what I'm saying is true but it's just an offering an alternative for meditation.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

I recommend trying metta meditation, especially before going to sleep. Some of the benefits the Buddha listed include: You will sleep easily, You will wake easily, You will have pleasant dreams.

I do it a lot myself, and while my sleep isn't perfect, I do notice, I rarely have unpleasant dreams, and I usually don't dream at all.

It may also alleviate your meditation issues.
'Suppose there were a beetle, a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of him. He, because of that, would look down on other beetles: 'Yes, sirree! I am a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of me!' - SN 17.5
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

dhamma_junkie wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:39 pm I feel that most of my symptoms sound like stress. But, I'm working with a psychologist as well.
life is stress, first of all
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I often feel tired during the day, as a result.
It is important you have a good night's sleep.
- Have your food at least three hours before sleep
- Eat only the homemade food and avoid excessive rich food
- Do exercise
- Practice loving-kindness and generosity
- Avoid medication and drugs and alcohol
- Visit a doctor to find out your health is ok (blood pressure, glucose level, etc.)
- Do not try deliberate Samatha meditation but Vipassana meditation is a great help.
Please report your progress so others may benefit from your experience.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

By the way, Welcome to Dhamma Wheel. :group:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
S. Johann

Post by S. Johann »

dhamma_junkie wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:39 pm Hello, all. This is my first post. I went through some previous posts and there are a lot of insights. Thank you!

I would like to know whether there are any particular meditation methods to overcome excessive dreaming. These dreams are not negative or nightmarish per se. but I see them every night. I often feel tired during the day, as a result.

Also, my meditation is not going well, to a point where I'm scared to attempt, out of the fear of "failing". I have had experiences but that was about 10 years ago. Whenever I attempt to meditate, I experience muscle spasms throughout the body, especially the chest, or I would feel like I'm out of breath. The body feels very restless. The mind too: memory and attention span are low. Writing a sentence and adding two numbers can be quite difficult sometimes.

I don't have any major stressors in life, except the chronic fatigue and not being the "perfect son" to my parents and their wish to see me married. I feel that most of my symptoms sound like stress. But, I'm working with a psychologist as well.

Once Kāyagatāsati (what ever doing, in what ever position) is well maintained, Sila perfect therefore, one even stops dreaming at all, good householder. Hearing the good teaching, firm resolve toward even higher virtue, is the way to ensure to do not get lost, in this world and the next.
You may make use of this account as wished for good, it's a cast off one. Password: 12345678. As the good stuff gets usually censured here, good if being quick to find ways out.
S. Johann

Post by S. Johann »

In same way, if easier to take on, one can use excessive developing metta to not only get ride of most dreams but to be quick again on lane when fallen asleep.
You may make use of this account as wished for good, it's a cast off one. Password: 12345678. As the good stuff gets usually censured here, good if being quick to find ways out.
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

You have not mentioned what meditation theme you are using.
Based on your description, your meditation them is too subtle for your current sati. You need to choose a theme more grosser.
For example, if you have difficult with meditation on breath, try body parts, body posture meditation.

As Bhante S.J above mentioned, Kayagatasati sutta is your guide for starting sati practice.

Not sure about your dreaming problem, but I assume it is the same as excessive thinking, with disengaged sense impression. Practice body contemplation will attenuate excessive thinking, logically, dreaming too.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I took Mirtazapine (Remeron) for a while, it gave me extremely amazingly vivid and long dreams. And I was really tired in the day. This sounds the same as you, have you started on any meds recently?
dhamma_junkie

Post by dhamma_junkie »

robertk wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:30 pm Which is better, to be good at meditation, or to understand the nature of reality, as it is?
Both? Despite a long history of mental and physical suffering, my understanding of the first noble truth, I feel is, very conceptual. I crave for non-existence, not wanting to continue in the cycle of samsara, for nirvana. Does this sound like vibhava tanha?

The first time I successfully meditated, my body disappeared. I yearn for that because my body feels very heavy of pain.
dhamma_junkie

Re: What to do do about excessive dreaming?

Post by dhamma_junkie »

[html][html]
JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:05 am I took Mirtazapine (Remeron) for a while, it gave me extremely amazingly vivid and long dreams. And I was really tired in the day. This sounds the same as you, have you started on any meds recently?
Thank you for your reply. I was on Mirtazapine a long time ago. What a weird drug! :juggling: I experienced what people called "brain zaps". My doctor should've warned me and told me to stay at home until I get used to it. I almost got into an accident the first day after I was on it while crossing a busy Sri Lankan road.

I'm trying to stay off medication. I'm not on anything now. I fall asleep well. I dream a lot, and I find it quite difficult to wake up.
befriend wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:32 pm There different ways to meditate bhikkhu Analayo uses whole body awareness which might be worth investigating. You simply bring your awareness to what psychologists call the felt sense of the body. Feel the body from inside. This is soon a good reference point to see impermanence of body feelings mental states and 5 hindrances and 5 senses. It's subtly joyful it may be an easier object to meditate with than the breath. I have no idea if what I'm saying is true but it's just an offering an alternative for meditation.
Thank you for the pointer. I have not given whole-body awareness much though, but I do it briefly before "failed" Anapanasati. :( :D :heart:
Maarten wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:44 pm I recommend trying metta meditation, especially before going to sleep. Some of the benefits the Buddha listed include: You will sleep easily, You will wake easily, You will have pleasant dreams.

I do it a lot myself, and while my sleep isn't perfect, I do notice, I rarely have unpleasant dreams, and I usually don't dream at all.

It may also alleviate your meditation issues.
"You will sleep easily, You will wake easily, You will have pleasant dreams." I learned this at school, grade 6 or 7. :D But I can't remember why I never gave it a try. Thanks a lot. I will try this.
cappuccino wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:35 pm
dhamma_junkie wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:39 pm I feel that most of my symptoms sound like stress. But, I'm working with a psychologist as well.
life is stress, first of all
Yes. Birth is stress. So is death. And everything in between. I was thinking yesterday: being employed is stressful, so is being unemployed.
SarathW wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:07 pm
I often feel tired during the day, as a result.
It is important you have a good night's sleep.
- Have your food at least three hours before sleep
- Eat only the homemade food and avoid excessive rich food
- Do exercise
- Practice loving-kindness and generosity
- Avoid medication and drugs and alcohol
- Visit a doctor to find out your health is ok (blood pressure, glucose level, etc.)
- Do not try deliberate Samatha meditation but Vipassana meditation is a great help.
Please report your progress so others may benefit from your experience.
Thanks a lot for the welcome. And more for the recommendations. I've seen many doctors, and I fear doctors are tired of seeing me now. :D Exercise helps a lot. I do it whenever my body has energy. I'm off intoxicants. I need to do more loving-kindness, especially towards my father, who can sometimes be difficult. I thought Samatha meditation is a prerequisite for Vipassana. But I will read more about this. I'd be happy to share my progress.

A hearty thank you to all who replied. Thank you, kalyana friends. :heart:
santa100

Post by santa100 »

dhamma_junkie wrote:What do do about excessive dreaming?
AN 11.16 wrote:"Monks, for one whose awareness-release through good will is cultivated, developed, pursued, handed the reins and taken as a basis, given a grounding, steadied, consolidated, and well-undertaken, eleven benefits can be expected. Which eleven?

"One sleeps easily, wakes easily, dreams no evil dreams. One is dear to human beings, dear to non-human beings. The devas protect one. Neither fire, poison, nor weapons can touch one. One's mind gains concentration quickly. One's complexion is bright. One dies unconfused and — if penetrating no higher — is headed for the Brahma worlds.

"These are the eleven benefits that can be expected for one whose awareness-release through good will is cultivated, developed, pursued, handed the reins and taken as a basis, given a grounding, steadied, consolidated, and well-undertaken."
jons

Post by jons »

dhamma_junkie wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:39 pm Hello, all. This is my first post. I went through some previous posts and there are a lot of insights. Thank you!

I used to have about the same problem as you do. I had chronic fatigue and tire all the time, with excessive dreaming. I had difficulties to remember things that I read. Furthermore, I would read four or five times and I would hardly remember anything. I went to school and flunked most of my classes. During that time, I didn't have a motor vehicle. Anywhere I wanted to go, I would ride a bicycle. The more I rode the bicycle, the better I felt. I would ride ten to fifteen miles a day. If I didn't ride the bicycle, I would jog about three to five miles. After those physical activities, I would sit and meditate. From then onward, I would always do physical exercise before sitting down to practice meditation. Right now I practice mindfulness in most of my available time, and I hardly ever have any dream. You should try physical exercise before your meditation practice session.

My opinions
Jons