🟩 My mind will rise above the world: a compilation on mano (Weeks of July 18 and 25, 2021)

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
SDC

Re: 📍 My mind will rise above the world: a compilation on mano (Weeks of July 18 and 25, 2021)

Post by SDC »

JohnK wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:12 pm Have been off-grid again.
Always have to rub the joys of the mountain life in my face, huh? :tongue: :hug:

Glad you made it to the thread before it closes!
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
JohnK

Re: 📍 My mind will rise above the world: a compilation on mano (Weeks of July 18 and 25, 2021)

Post by JohnK »

Ah, I did not realize until just now, reading Bhikkhu Bodhi's note, that the first verse here is not from the Buddha but from a deva. It is the second verse that is from the Buddha, a corrective or clarification. (On first read, I thought the Buddha was clarifying his own words.)
For now, I'm still reading it as: the first verse is not an incorrect practice/training to bring the mind under control (which is certainly how I read it when I thought it was the Buddha's words). But once the mind is brought under control, not constantly looking to feed, having some experience of the joy of not "going out," then, it can more safely go out (while remaining vigilant for unwholesomeness, knowing the difference).
So, again, there is the potential/possibility/promise of wholesome engagement.
SDC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:26 pm
Saṁyutta Nikāya
Manonivāraṇasutta (Reining in the Mind) SN 1.24 (PTS (1st ed) 1.14)
Translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi

• "From whatever one reins in the mind,
    From that no suffering comes to one.
    Should one rein in the mind from everything,
    One is freed from all suffering.”

“One need not rein in the mind from everything
    When the mind has come under control.
    From whatever it is that evil comes,
    From this one should rein in the mind.”
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
SDC

Post by SDC »

JohnK wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:48 pm Ah, I did not realize until just now, reading Bhikkhu Bodhi's note, that the first verse here is not from the Buddha but from a deva. It is the second verse that is from the Buddha, a corrective or clarification.
Good find, John!!!
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3