SN 20.1 Kūṭa Sutta. A Roof Peak.

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Translated by Bhikkhu Sujato

As rafters depend on the roof-peak, unwholesome qualities depend on ignorance.
https://suttacentral.net/sn20.1

So I have heard. At one time the Buddha was staying near Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s monastery. There the Buddha … said: “Mendicants, the rafters of a bungalow all lean to the peak and meet at the peak, and when the peak is demolished they’re all demolished too. In the same way any unskillful qualities are rooted in ignorance and meet in ignorance, and when ignorance is demolished they’re all demolished too. So you should train like this: ‘We will stay diligent.’ That’s how you should train.”
mikenz66

Re: SN 20.1 Kūṭa Sutta. A Roof Peak.

Post by mikenz66 »

The Opamma Saṃyutta contains a series of short suttas linked by them all containing pithy similes.

The next Sutta: A Fingernail, Nakhasikha Sutta SN 20.2, https://suttacentral.net/sn20.2 also speaks of diligence:
At Sāvatthī. Then the Buddha, picking up a little bit of dirt under his fingernail, addressed the mendicants: “What do you think, mendicants? Which is more: the little bit of dirt under my fingernail, or this great earth?” “Sir, the great earth is far more. The little bit of dirt under your fingernail is tiny. Compared to the great earth, it can’t be reckoned or compared, it’s not even a fraction.” “In the same way the sentient beings reborn as humans are few, while those not reborn as humans are many. So you should train like this: ‘We will stay diligent.’ That’s how you should train.”
:heart:
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

The Kūṭa Sutta seems connected to these Dhammapada verses:
Through many a birth in samsara have I wandered in vain, seeking the builder of this house (of life). Repeated birth is indeed suffering!

O house-builder, you are seen! You will not build this house again. For your rafters are broken and your ridgepole shattered. My mind has reached the Unconditioned; I have attained the destruction of craving.

https://suttacentral.net/dhp146-156/en/ ... a#153--154
:heart:
Mike
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:52 pm SN 20.1 Kūṭa Sutta. A Roof Peak.
Translated by Bhikkhu Sujato

"...any unskillful qualities are rooted in ignorance...So you should train like this: ‘We will stay diligent."
If this applied to our great diligence regarding other people's ignorance, we'd all be enlightened!
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]