📚 Information ▪ Legend ▪ Resources (Please Read)

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
SDC

Post by SDC »

Hello Readers,

The purpose of the Study Group is to read and discuss discourses from the Pali Canon. While we will continue the tradition of exploring the context of a single selection, there will also be an expanded thematic format. The intention with this approach is to present a variety of different descriptions and accounts of a certain term(s) or person(s), giving the reader the opportunity to explore the theme thoroughly. I also plan to put up an entire vagga (chapter) or nipāta (section) where the length makes sense as a single presentation (SN, AN and many texts from KN). There are currently no plans for the study group to read any titles outside of the Canon. See this post for more information.

I will proceed with the assumption that participants are here to gain an understanding of the Canon as it has been translated from Pali to English. Anyone who wishes to routinely argue evidence concerning whether or not the Pali Canon is the actual word of the Buddha is kindly asked to do so in General Theravada Discussion. (These translations are by no means immune to textual criticism, but considering how many other subsections we have on the forum, it will not be the aim of this study group to explore such matters in any significant depth.)

I am always open to suggestions, which I prefer to be made in the comments thread or via PM. Just like anywhere else on the forum, please avoid the airing of grievances during the discussion. While I am not a moderator, I will - with the help of the staff - look to keep this area clean of what violates the TOS.

Thank you very much to David and Paul for agreeing to allow me to take the reins, and to my predecessor, mikenz66 for his advice, blessing and many years of hard work. I am honored to be reading and contemplating with all of you, and am truly grateful for the privilege of curating these rich and extraordinary accounts for discussion. I look forward to hearing from “the group”.

But enough of this courteous and amiable talk, let's read some suttas.
:reading:
SDC

Post by SDC »

Legend:

📍……Current Study Session
🟧……Single discourse session (archived/locked)
🟥……Profile session (archived/locked)
🟩……Thematic session (archived/locked)
SDC

Post by SDC »

Below are links to announcement threads from the previous Study Group. Please pm me any other relevant threads and I will link them here. Also, if anyone wishes to start new threads to serve as a resource for how best to approach the suttas, please let me know and I’ll provide links for those as well.

A Systematic Study of the Majjhima Nikaya
The Numerical Discourses - Thematic Guide
In the Buddha’s Words - Open Source Version
Why Read the suttas?
Resources from the previous study group