Ancient/Modern Buddhist Hymns and Devotional Song

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Ontheway

Ancient/Modern Buddhist Hymns and Devotional Song

Post by Ontheway »

Similar to other religions, Buddhists of ancient and modern also making hymns and songs to praise Triple Gems in various ways.

Just sharing some of videos that I used to listen in the past:

1) Jayamangala attha Gatha

This hymn was composed by ancient Sri Lanka monks to praise Eight Victories of Lord Buddha
- Victory over Mara Devaputta and His armies
- Victory over Alavaka, a Yakkha with great supernormal powers
- Victory over Nalagiri, a ferocious elephant that sent by Devadatta attempt to kill Lord Buddha.
- Victory over Angulimala, a cruel murderer (999 victims killed by him)
- Victory over Cinca, a lady telling lie, claimed that Lord Buddha slept with her and impregnated her
- Victory over Saccaka a Brahmin
- Victory over Nandopananda, a giant fierce Naga Serpent with supernormal powers
- Victory over Baka Brahma, who claimed himself to be the Creator, Overlord, the Father of all

2) องค์ใดพระสัมพุทธ

A traditional Thai poem, written by Thai poet in the past to praise Lord Buddha's wisdom and His forever Great Loving-Kindness to all beings. The beginning of the video was added the Invitation of Deities Gatha. Let all Deities and Human now adore the Great Master.

Overall meaning:
The Buddha is full of wisdom, He is the Destroyer of all defilements, arise with Enlightenment like a pure lotus. With His Great Compassion, He built a Path to Nibbana, without dangers and sadness. The Lord, completed with Five Eyes, knowing what lies far and near, He shall teach men and women a Way to cut down all sinful deeds, and work on meritorious deeds. Let me now, bowing my head and worship the Great Sambuddha, who endowed with Great Love and Compassion, who had already attained the Final Nibbana.

3) ปางเมื่อพระองค์ปะระมะพุทธ (The Great Triumph of Buddha)

This song praises Siddattha Gotama's Grand Victory against Mara Devaputta and His vast armies, conquered all Defilements with Thirty Perfections, then finally achieve Sammasambuddhahood.

4) Burmese Buddhist Hymn

Nice introductory hymn before Pali Chanting, although I don't know what she sing about.

5) Indian style of Hymn (Buddham saranam gacchami)

This song first appeared in old school Indian movie "Angulimala".

6) Narasiha Gatha
Sri Lanka hymn based on Narasiha Gatha

:anjali:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Ontheway

Re: Ancient/Modern Buddhist Hymns and Devotional Song

Post by Ontheway »

7) Metta chant

Quite famous among the Asian Buddhist communities

8) Chattha manawaka Gatha

Used to chant this in the past. But very hard to imitate the voice. So I gave up.

9) Verses of Eight Arahants

Used to chant this too in the past. Nice hymn to praise Arahant disciples.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Re: Ancient/Modern Buddhist Hymns and Devotional Song

Post by Ontheway »

Another simple Thai traditional Buddhist song I found, normally the Thais will sing during the Buddhist festivals, Vesak Day, Teacher's day to commemorate Lord Buddha as the Supreme Teacher in the world. Almost all Thais, be it Buddhist or nonBuddhist, know this song.

Translated:
I am now holding the golden coloured incense and ignited candle with both of my hands, with all my heart, paying homage to You (Buddha). X2

Sincerely worshipping You, the Supreme Teacher of all Buddha's followers. X2

With His utmost Wisdom, finally found the True Dhamma; with His utmost Compassion, He bring forth the True Dhamma and teach it to humanity.

He is so perfect, utterly pure, and He teaches us to escape from all sufferings. X2

Repeat.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.