Maha Bodhi Temple

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
cooran

Re: Maha Bodhi Temple

Post by cooran »

Some more photos of MahaBodhi temple Bodhgaya:

http://www.photodharma.net/India/Bodhga ... abodhi.htm

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

morgan freeman.jpg
morgan freeman.jpg (70.93 KiB) Viewed 33935 times
Morgan Freeman is narrating a series on National Geographic channel about the world religions and there were some nice scenes of the Maha Bodhi Temple in last Sunday's episode, "The power of miracles."
Ben

Post by Ben »

David N. Snyder wrote:
morgan freeman.jpg
Morgan Freeman is narrating a series on National Geographic channel about the world religions and there were some nice scenes of the Maha Bodhi Temple in last Sunday's episode, "The power of miracles."
What on earth is Morgan Freeman doing at Bodh Gaya?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ben wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:
morgan freeman.jpg
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/t ... n-freeman/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The show presented Buddhism pretty good. I think there are still a few more episodes in the coming weeks too.
Ben

Post by Ben »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Ben wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:
morgan freeman.jpg
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/t ... n-freeman/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The show presented Buddhism pretty good. I think there are still a few more episodes in the coming weeks too.
Thanks David, I'm not sure whether the series has made it here in Australia, yet. It's a relief that the presentation on Buddhism is sympathetic, and hopefully, not stereotypical.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Morgan Freeman talk about Buddhism.

https://youtu.be/w03qwdJ8uZE?list=PLtkz ... VYrmmVDObI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This is another video.
Start at counter 40

https://youtu.be/mTCKpdMZ1hw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Thanks for the videos. Unfortunately he seems to be hung up on mundane miracles, much like Kevatta. Someone should recommend him to read the Kevatta Sutta, where the Buddha teaches that the Miracle of Instruction is the highest form of miracle.

If he understands the futility of mundane miracles by reading the sutta, it would be a minor instance of a miracle of instruction. :stirthepot: :woohoo:
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I moved the Maha Bodhi Temple Replicas photos to its own topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=35796
manas

Post by manas »

Hi everyone, I would like to visit the important places connected with the Buddha's life, while I still have the physical health & strength to do so. Does anyone have a recommendation, of the best way to do this tour? Basically a pilgrimage. I would prefer one that includes time for reflection & meditation at each site; I would rather take it at a leisurely pace, and not have to rush it. Are there any 'packages' anyone can recommend? Or, is it better to just show up in India, and work it out for oneself? I've not travelled overseas before, so this is new to me...thank you :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

manas wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:04 pm Are there any 'packages' anyone can recommend? Or, is it better to just show up in India, and work it out for oneself? I've not travelled overseas before, so this is new to me...thank you :anjali:
I'd recommend going with a guided tour, with tour guides and drivers. This is especially true if you're not used to traveling to other nations independently. If you're on your own, could get led down an alley where thieves will take everything you have including your money, passports, etc. And then you're left with struggling to get to the Embassy for help.

I like Shantum Seth's buddhapath tours. It's a little pricey, but worth it.
http://www.buddhapath.com/Peepal%202020.html

They have tours that see all the important pilgrimage sites. It's definitely a wholesome bucket list item!
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Buddhist societies regularly conduct group pilgrimage tours. Contact them to inquire. If you're coming from the US, you could arrange to meet them in India.