Let's Pray Daily - Virtual Vihara

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
salayatananirodha

Re: Let's Pray Daily - Virtual Vihara

Post by salayatananirodha »

I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

thomaslaw wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:16 am Having read the expressions, I can see how the individual mind consciously develops the words of the devotional faith to the Buddha, his dhammas, and his assembly.

Such a devotional faith to the Buddha seems similar to the faith-faculty (saddhindriya) and power (saddhaabala) in the teachings of the five faculties (pa~nca indriyaani) and the five powers (pa~nca balaani) according to the Indriya Sa.myutta and Bala Sa.myutta of SN.
Saddha beejam - tapo vutthi (faith is the seed - practice is the rain).
What if a rain falls into a field where there are no seeds?
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Do Buddhists also chant the Namo Tassa and Saranam words not only in front of Buddha image, but also in front of Brahma/Deva/deity image(s), when doing devotional pray or worship?
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

thomaslaw wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:06 am Do Buddhists also chant the Namo Tassa and Saranam words not only in front of Buddha image, but also in front of Brahma/Deva/deity image(s), when doing devotional pray or worship?
I saw Thai lay Buddhists, before praying to Thai God statue, they recite Namo Tassa 3x...

But again, I don't think Buddha said we need to pray to Deities in order to be a Buddhist.
Deleted