How do you imagine beings of other realms?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
DooDoot

Re: How do you imagine beings of other realms?

Post by DooDoot »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:16 pm:twisted:
hungry ghost realm :P

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:00 pm Pretty accurate to me.
:pig:
Attachments
Six realms.png
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I don't imagine beings of other realms. I regard them as mental states.
The rich iconography of the Wheel of Life can be interpreted on several levels. The six major sections represent the Six Realms. These realms can be understood as forms of existence, or states of mind, into which beings are born according to their karma. The realms also can be viewed as situations in life or even personality types—hungry ghosts are addicts; devas are privileged; hell beings have anger issues.

https://www.learnreligions.com/the-whee ... fe-4123213
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:36 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:27 pm i wpuld imagine them acc to hindu art
Hindu art is beautiful.
Saw earlier this illustration of Gotama cutting his hair. Very beautiful.

I don't think its beautiful at all! It looks like an idealised teenage girl without any breasts, who's wearing a lot of eyeliner and red lipstick. "Different strokes for different folks" as the old saying goes....
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I imagine beings from other realms as beyond human understanding. I imagine if I saw such a being it would look something like this:
mosaic-abstract-art-life-path-sharon-cummings-sharon-cummings.jpg
ground-of-being-carissa-luminess.jpg
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

It's not something I really think about. I'm still trying to understand being in the human realm. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:56 am It's not something I really think about. I'm still trying to understand being in the human realm. :tongue:
I'm still trying to understand not being. :tongue:
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Aloka wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:30 am
The rich iconography of the Wheel of Life can be interpreted on several levels. The six major sections represent the Six Realms. These realms can be understood as forms of existence, or states of mind, into which beings are born according to their karma. The realms also can be viewed as situations in life or even personality types—hungry ghosts are addicts; devas are privileged; hell beings have anger issues.

So u deny next life?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Aloka wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:30 am

Wow, so all these years Buddha's talks on heaven, hell, this world, another world, Asuras wars with Devas, Peta, how Devas visited Him for teachings, Mara army, Nagas and Supannas, Supernormal powers through Jhanic powers, all non-existent?

If implying from your statement, there is no other world and no next life too (provided still not Enlightened), that is nihilistic. Stalin will be happy.
Deleted
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:57 pm Wow, so all these years Buddha's talks on heaven, hell, this world, another world, Asuras wars with Devas, Peta, how Devas visited Him for teachings, Mara army, Nagas and Supannas, Supernormal powers through Jhanic powers, all non-existent?
Most probable the Buddha limited to taught about human experience, suffering and the end of suffering. But we can believe other than that.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:57 pm
If implying from your statement, there is no other world and no next life too (provided still not Enlightened), that is nihilistic. Stalin will be happy.
Stalin .... Lol, get a life, Kiddiwinks! :lol:

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:57 pm Wow, so all these years Buddha's talks on heaven, hell, this world, another world, Asuras wars with Devas, Peta, how Devas visited Him for teachings, Mara army, Nagas and Supannas, Supernormal powers through Jhanic powers, all non-existent?
The above is not related to any "next life". For example, heaven & hell are described as follows:
SN 35.135 wrote:“Bhikkhus, it is a gain for you, it is well gained by you, that you have obtained the opportunity for living the holy life. I have seen, bhikkhus, the hell named ‘Contact’s Sixfold Base.’ There whatever form one sees with the eye is undesirable, never desirable; unlovely, never lovely; disagreeable, never agreeable. Whatever sound one hears with the ear … Whatever odour one smells with the nose … Whatever taste one savours with the tongue … Whatever tactile object one feels with the body … Whatever mental phenomenon one cognizes with the mind is undesirable, never desirable; unlovely, never lovely; disagreeable, never agreeable.

“It is a gain for you, bhikkhus, it is well gained by you, that you have obtained the opportunity for living the holy life. I have seen, bhikkhus, the heaven named ‘Contact’s Sixfold Base.’ There whatever form one sees with the eye is desirable, never undesirable; lovely, never unlovely; agreeable, never disagreeable. Whatever sound one hears with the ear … Whatever odour one smells with the nose … Whatever taste one savours with the tongue … Whatever tactile object one feels with the body … Whatever mental phenomenon one cognizes with the mind is desirable, never undesirable; lovely, never unlovely; agreeable, never disagreeable.

“It is a gain for you, bhikkhus, it is well gained by you, that you have obtained the opportunity for living the holy life.”

https://suttacentral.net/sn35.135/en/bodhi
:alien:
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:57 pmIf implying from your statement, there is no other world and no next life too (provided still not Enlightened), that is nihilistic.
The Pali "paraloka" means "other world" rather than "next world". For example, due to kamma, such as addiction to drugs, one can proceed to a hell world of pain, trauma & degeneration.

The Pali word for "nihilism" means "not believe in goodness & its benefits". "Nihilism" does not mean believing there is no life after death.

:smile:

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:04 pm:)
Aslan?

Edit: I immediately realized after posting you were referring to the animal realm :toilet:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."