Ven. Ñāṇadīpa Mahāthera Passed Away 12-09-2020

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
pitakele

Ven. Ñāṇadīpa Mahāthera Passed Away 12-09-2020

Post by pitakele »

Bhante had been ill for the several years and a few months ago was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer. The place of death (I think) was Ehatuwawa, Galgamuwa, Sri Lanka. I met Bhante for the first time when he visited Thailand in 1977 (the year I ordained). Subsequently, I met him many times after I moved to Sri Lanka in 1979. HIs love of forest solitude very much influenced how I lived as a monk in Sri Lanka in the eighties.

From Samanadipa
We are sorry to be the bearers of sad news, but Bhante Nyanadipa Mahathera passed away today (7:15am Sri Lankan time.) Growing up in Denmark, he left his comfort for Dhamma in 1967. For half of a century he spent his monastic life in secluded jungles of Sri Lanka and became an inspiration for many monks to follow the Forest Path of Dhamma. Though his seclusion has been very protected, he was gradually becoming very well-known among monks and laypeople.

Bhante Ñāṇadīpa, French born Dane arrived to Sri Lanka in 1968, being twenty-four year old. He was just finishing traveling (or rather walking) around the Asian continent – from Yugoslavia to Japan, from Russia to Sri Lanka. He had spent eight months at the Island Hermitage learning Pāli (he had a Latin/Greek-based education and a brilliant mind for languages), practicing ānāpānasati and using the Notes on Dhamma and the Collected Writings of Ven. Ñāṇavīra. Monks were fascinated by this young man’s intelligence and interest in Dhamma.

This young man subsequently took sāmaṇera ordination that year and received a new name: Ñāṇadīpa. He was independent of character, inspired by the forest life of the old generations of forest monks and by the idea of more secluded life. Not finding any suitable teacher, he became skilled in Pāli and the Suttas and soon removed himself from the entanglements of any kind of personal relationship. Highly impressed by Ñāṇavīra’s writings, he for many years carried a notebook in which he had hand copied the Notes, and which he used for his own investigation and reflection. The Notes was his first teacher and his guide to the Suttas. In later time only Suttas, especially the verses of Sutta-nipata, remained his constant guide.

In recent years he has suffered various illnesses and minor accidents, and a few months ago was also diagnosed with cancer. Even though the body was frail he insisted to continue to live a simple and secluded life as much as possible to the very end of his life.

Being an expert in Pali and in particularly in gathas, he also occasionally advised Bhikkhu Bodhi with translation work of the Suttas. And Bhante is also the translator of 'The Silent Sages of Old'.

https://pathpress.org/most-ven-na%e1%b9 ... ssed-away/
Memorial Page of Ven. Ñāṇadīpa
https://www.facebook.com/bhante.nyanadipa/

Obituaries
https://pathpress.org/obituaries-memori ... MrIwBznKsI

Video of last days & cremation
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=35405 ... 2FZevT2ZRs
aniccā vata saṇkhārā - tesaṁ vūpasamo sukho
SDC

Re: Ven. Ñāṇadīpa Mahāthera Passed Away 12-09-2020

Post by SDC »

:candle:

Thank you for sharing, pitakele. Stories of his austere forest lifestyle were always an inspiration.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:candle: :candle: :candle:
sakyan

Post by sakyan »

Homage to the Ven Nanadipa!
skandha

Post by skandha »

Ven. Ñāṇadīpa Mahāthera's life of seclusion and practice is certainly inspiring. A true forest sage.
He should train only for seclusion
for that is highest for Noble ones.
By that he should not conceive he is best.
He truly is close to Nibbāna.
- Snp 4.7 verse 9, translated by Ven. Ñāṇadīpa Mahāthera
A true master of knowledge has passed beyond all that is known and become dispassionate towards all vedanās.
- Sn 529
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Obeisances to Him and all the Buddhists of the world, that all feel the echo of this gentle person's Metta.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
jagodage

Post by jagodage »

Far away from west
Travel in search of ultimate Truth
Leaving behind all
Finding the sound of silence
Let the Great path continue
To reach the Noble End

Worship with five points touch