Does Nalanda pre-date Buddha?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I just wonder whether Nalanda rock carvings pre-date Buddha.
Is it possible, the present Buddha image was copied from Nalanda instead of Nalanda monks (could be Hindu) copying the Greek image, Buddha?
The ideology of Buddha prevailed in India before Buddha's time.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mahabrahma

Re: Does Nalanda pre-date Buddha?

Post by Mahabrahma »

Buddha is predicted as appearing in province Gaya as the son of Añjanā in the the Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam (Bhāgavata Purāṇa), a Vedic epic composed just prior to the beginning of Kali-Yuga, some 2400 years before Buddha's birth, so He was dearly awaited by those adherent and faithful to the Vedic religion. So there must have been quite a bit of artwork done about Him, as we have artwork of Maitreya and future and distant past Buddhas, done in our time. I cannot give the exact details on Nalanda-rock carving artwork, but it is imaginable people must have been carving pictures of the Buddha since beginngless time, especially in the Ages where one's meditational capacities could help them vividly see the future and past times in a more open way for all.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.