death of forum member dylanj

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Kusala

Re: death of forum member dylanj

Post by Kusala »

:candle:
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

I'm sorry to hear that. May he find peace and lasting happiness. :candle:
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Since this topic I have been being very sad. Yesterday I cried seeing Dylan's pictures and old posts.
For a long time I had not heard about the death of a "close" person.
We are so busy with our sorrows and pains that we forget about the dukkha of death and separation from the loved. Dukkha dukkha.

It seems I'll need some maranasati sessions to recover myself from this.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:48 pm Since this topic I have been being very sad. Yesterday I cried seeing Dylan's pictures and old posts.
For a long time I had not heard about the death of a "close" person.
We are so busy with our sorrows and pains that we forget about the dukkha of death and separation from the loved. Dukkha dukkha.

It seems I'll need some maranasati sessions to recover myself from this.
According to the SN/SA suttas, the Buddha teaches dukkha is in fact not mine, I am not dukkha, dukkha is not my self (cf. pp. 53, 58 in Choong MK The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism): anicca, dukkha, and thus anatta.

Nothing is belonging to my self!

:buddha1:
bodom

Post by bodom »

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

i have a request from his mother that i don't know the answer to. can someone please help me?
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.31.00 PM.png
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
salayatananirodha

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:18 am He changed his Facebook picture ten days ago. He looked fine and healthy. I suspect he committed suicide? :(

I hope he is well and happy wherever he was reborn. May he have attained stream-entry or once-returner and escape this horrid samsara at some point. :heart:

i've been informed that he did not commit suicide, but he had been struggling with addiction for years and was beginning a treatment program. i'm very confident that his immense heart and understanding of the dhamma has led him into a favorable rebirth. i'm reminded of the salt crystal sutta and also angulimala sutta. when people get on a fast track of purification their past evil deeds ripen more quickly (but with less impact). i wish someone could have been there to uplift his mind shortly before his death.

i'll admit i have lots of regret on how he and i got along several months leading up to his death. i know this is a common experience for survivors but it disturbs me how even tho we as buddhists discuss the imminence of death i still did not see it coming in such a way that i put aside meaningless disagreements. i would encourage anyone to look thru his old posts, there are some real gems there and hopefully i will go thru and find and share some of them https://dhammawheel.com/memberlist.php? ... le&u=13022
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
salayatananirodha

here is one of the most inspiring posts i read by him. it transformed my understanding of the practice of generosity then and there and later on again.
dylanj wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:49 am The kammic consequence of generosity & giving is wealth.

No one has ever nor will ever become poor from giving.

If you have debt you should give more. Even if you have just $100 you could give it all away & your debt will not be a bigger burden as a result, wealth will come to you. Through generosity your wealth will increase & you will be able to pay your debt while continuing to give & develop relinquishment.

Causality is not materialist, it is ethical. Many Buddhists fail to break out of materialism.

You should have faith that you could literally give away everything you have, all of your possessions, & the result will only be an increase of wealth, not a decrease.

anāthapiṇḍika gave away his entire fortune & sure enough he developed a whole new fortune all in one lifetime.

I have about $20,000 of debt. I give a couple hundred dollars in charity each month. Whenever anyone asks me for money I give it to them. I help support a poor Burmese friend of mine. I recently paid for the school fees of a man from Uganda who messaged me asking for money on facebook. I donated $50 to pariyatti yesterday. Overall my wealth & income is increasing. Still I could & should do more.

The thought "I do not have enough to give" is stinginess. It is not a rational conclusion based on how poverty & wealth actually manifest in the world. They are results of kamma. You will become rich if you're generous. You will become poor if you're miserly. The moment you hesitate to relinquish your wealth is the moment you should throw it all at those who deserve it. This is a radical mode of causality extremely different than what the world generally believes in but it's what the Buddha taught & you would do well to have faith in it.
he went on to say:
dylanj wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 pm
'''Whatever there may be in our family that can be given away, all that we will share unreservedly with the virtuous ones who are of good character.' It is in such a way that you should train yourselves. "
robertk

Post by robertk »

salayatananirodha wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:50 am
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:18 am He changed his Facebook picture ten days ago. He looked fine and healthy. I suspect he committed suicide? :(

I hope he is well and happy wherever he was reborn. May he have attained stream-entry or once-returner and escape this horrid samsara at some point. :heart:

i've been informed that he did not commit suicide, but he had been struggling with addiction for years and was beginning a treatment program. i'm very confident that his immense heart and understanding of the dhamma has led him into a favorable rebirth. i'm reminded of the salt crystal sutta and also angulimala sutta. when people get on a fast track of purification their past evil deeds ripen more quickly (but with less impact). i wish someone could have been there to uplift his mind shortly before his death.

i'll admit i have lots of regret on how he and i got along several months leading up to his death. i know this is a common experience for survivors but it disturbs me how even tho we as buddhists discuss the imminence of death i still did not see it coming in such a way that i put aside meaningless disagreements. i would encourage anyone to look thru his old posts, there are some real gems there and hopefully i will go thru and find and share some of them memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13022
Thanks for letting us know this :namaste: :namaste: :namaste:
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

So young.

A great loss to dhamma communities.
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

salayatananirodha wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:23 am here is one of the most inspiring posts i read by him. it transformed my understanding of the practice of generosity then and there and later on again.
dylanj wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:49 am The kammic consequence of generosity & giving is wealth....
I like this post a lot. What a magnanimous Spirit. I am sure He will be reborn in a very high place full of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas and attain his desired goal, if He hasn't already. He will by far increase in Life Strength, despite His setback with narcotics on this planet, which isn't even His fault nor was it coming from a place of lack of morality for Him, I'm sure He was a provisionally very High Buddhist despite that stuff, helping out those who didn't have a framework of Spirituality while still being caught in the mix. Also, you may see Him again on this planet if He decides to return. If you do, ask Him about His Travels.

:candle: :buddha1:
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

May he see the Buddha light!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Post not befitting the Shrine Room have been moved to a new topic entitled Social Norms and the Recently Deceased.

:focus:

:namaste:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."