death of forum member dylanj

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
salayatananirodha

death of forum member dylanj

Post by salayatananirodha »

It is with such a heavy heart I want to share the passing of dylanj with this forum. I posted this in early buddhism section because he was a die-hard early buddhist, but with a generous mind to tradition as well. (however, if this needs to be moved to another section, it's fine)
He helped me when he came into my life. not only did he share suttas with me, he insisted i read them, and that itself, the care and interest is what i feel ultimately converted me. he wanted me to become extroverted and share the dhamma with as many as i could. i dont feel ready to do so but i want to, in honor of him. because who knows where i'd be without his influence. i'm tired and sad and i'm nearing sleep, but later on i hope to share memories of him, and if you have some please share them.

he was extremely generous, he paid my mothers car payment once, and he helped people across the world when they needed it. he was there as a friend, he encouraged the best in people. his understanding of the dhamma in my opinion was very keen, but i still have to live it out to know for sure.. unfortunately, he had a desire to use drugs and this i think is what caused his demise. i hope he is in a good destination now. at only 24 he could have done so much in this human life. i pray whatever suffering afflicted him to make him seek this kind of behavior passes, that he is able to overcome it. listen, repeat, ponder, and live the dhamma. you have nothing to lose. nibbānaṁ paramaṁ sukhaṁ (nibbāna the highest bliss). :buddha2: :buddha1:

also be sure to like the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadhamma/ where i wish to continue his legacy of sharing suttas for a wide audience
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: death of forum member dylanj

Post by Sam Vara »

:candle: :candle: :candle:

That's very sad. He was so young.

Thank you for telling us, s.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 am desire to use drugs and this i think is what caused his demise
desire for drugs generally masks a deep difficult suffering
salayatananirodha wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 am he was extremely generous, he paid my mothers car payment once, and he helped people across the world when they needed it.
such sacrificial gifts for those in real need are always remembered & praised by the wise
salayatananirodha wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 am It is with such a heavy heart I want to share the passing of dylanj with this forum
my sympathies for your personal loss. memory of Dylan's good sacrificial deeds brings rebirth in heaven

Last edited by DooDoot on Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

He changed his Facebook picture ten days ago. He looked fine and healthy. I suspect he committed suicide? :(

I hope he is well and happy wherever he was reborn. May he have attained stream-entry or once-returner and escape this horrid samsara at some point. :heart:

:candle:
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

May he have a favorable re-birth if he did not attain Nibbana before his death!
The greatest thing was he found the Dhamma in this very life.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

That’s so sad. He seemed to have knowledge of the Dhamma and a bright mind. :candle:
“Householder, you have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick, but you shouldn’t rest content with the thought, ‘We have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick.’ So you should train yourself, ‘Let’s periodically enter & remain in seclusion & rapture.’ That’s how you should train yourself.”
AN 5.176- Rapture
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Salayatananirodha,
salayatananirodha wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 am It is with such a heavy heart I want to share the passing of dylanj with this forum.
Thank you for letting us now and for recounting his good deeds.

:candle: :anjali: :candle:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

I remember well because some messages with him. He was intelligent and loves Dhamma
May he find nibbana :candle:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Like The Little Stream

Like the little stream
Making its way
Through the mossy crevices