Separate halls

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
simsapa

Separate halls

Post by simsapa »

I've noticed that, at least where I live, there is a pattern to how the Buddhist centers are developed. There is an area with monastic quarters and a small shrine with a mat in front. In my area, since this part is quite small, it is usually in a restored farmhouse. Then, close by, there is a separate space with a much larger Buddha statue. I'm guessing we can call this a Buddha/meditation hall. It's sometimes in a restored or expanded shed. The center I go to visit now is also building a sima hall close by.

What's the origin of having the separate meditation hall with the Buddha statue?
Dhammavamsa

Re: Separate halls

Post by Dhammavamsa »

I also noticed that the Sri Lankans/Thai will dedicate a room for Buddha image.

But my house doesn't have the luxury to do so. Just an altar table in living room where there is a Buddha image (placed highest), Arahanta Sivali image (lower) and an image of Asurinda Rahu (a gift from a Thai temple, though I don't really pay much attention to the image). But it is artistic.

Just for the purpose of recollection, daily offerings, chanting the Partitas and Suttas, do meditation.
Deleted