Sri Lanka, awe-inspiring Land of Stupa

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Dhammavamsa

Sri Lanka, awe-inspiring Land of Stupa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Found some videos about Sri Lanka Buddhism and places.

Recently I was enchanted by Sri Lanka's beautiful stupas. Whenever I see those stupas, it gives me a soothing vibe and really peaceful.

There are many awe-inspiring places in Sri Lanka full of historical significance. I hope can visit those Sri Lanka stupas in future when there is no more covid19.

Deleted
robertk

Re: Sri Lanka, awe-inspiring Land of Stupa

Post by robertk »

I love Anuradhapura, so much ancient Buddhist history.
Have been waiting for the country to open again so I can go back.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I would love to visit for 6 months, climb Sri Pada, go to many cool old temples and stupas. Maybe some day...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I love New Zealand.
Rotorua and Milford's sounds are out of this world!
:D

https://www.google.com/search?q=milford ... 5SzRj4MmgM

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rotaruw ... toPi_-cgAg
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

6 months? Wouldn't that be too long?

Although I am interested in Sri Lankan places, still I am worrying about the food hygiene there. And this issue also kept me from India for many years.

Among Buddhist countries, so far Thailand is my favourite (but again Thailand is not that buddhistic as it was infested with all sorts of night life activities). My favourite stupa would be the Phra Pathom Chedi stupa, which is the first large stupa built in Thailand.
Attachments
Phra Pathom Chedi stupa that contained Buddha relic (Google image)
Phra Pathom Chedi stupa that contained Buddha relic (Google image)
Deleted
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

If you can put up with Thai food, you will not have a problem with Sri Lankan food.
Look for a clean place for your food.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:31 am 6 months? Wouldn't that be too long?

Although I am interested in Sri Lankan places, still I am worrying about the food hygiene there. And this issue also kept me from India for many years.

Among Buddhist countries, so far Thailand is my favourite (but again Thailand is not that buddhistic as it was infested with all sorts of night life activities). My favourite stupa would be the Phra Pathom Chedi stupa, which is the first large stupa built in Thailand.
In india foods are clean unless u eat from road side... but i think mostly every town and city will have pizza hut or dominos or mcdonanlds
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
BKh

Post by BKh »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:31 am still I am worrying about the food hygiene there. And this issue also kept me from India for many years.
Food hygiene is fine in Sri Lanka. Even water quality is fine as long as you stick to filtered. That's a fairly standard thing. Locals drink filtered water because of the high mineral content of groundwater. But the filter takes out any bugs too! And locals naturally work hard to be good hosts, so people are watching out for you.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Thanks for the feedback.

Then I will make it to my travel to-do list. Hopefully covid19 can end soon.

I think I'm gonna visit Anuradhapura for sure. And get a Buddha Rupa. Maybe I will need to learn some Sinhalese from now.
Attachments
bs_005_la.jpg
Deleted
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Sri Lanka has been on my bucket list ever since I came across Ouspensky's account of "The Buddha with the Sapphire Eyes"

"Nobody knows when this statue was made; but it is certainly more than a thousand years old.

...The guide quietly went out behind me and sat on the steps of the verandah, and I was left alone with the Buddha.

The face of the Buddha was quite alive; he was not looking straight at me, and yet he saw me. At first I felt nothing but wonder. I had not expected and could not have expected anything like it. But very soon wonder and all other feelings and thoughts disappeared in new and strange sensations.

The Buddha saw me, saw in me that which I could not see myself, all that was hidden in the most secret recesses of my soul. And under his gaze, which, as it were, passed me by, I began to see all this myself.

Everything that was small, superfluous, uneasy and troubled came to the surface and displayed itself under this glance. The face of the Buddha was quite calm, but not expressionless, and full of deep thought and feeling. He was lying here deep in thought, and I had come, opened the doors and stood before him, and now he was involuntarily judging me. But there was no blame or reproach in his glance.

His look was extraordinarily serious, calm and full of understanding. But when I attempted to ask myself what the face of the Buddha expressed, I realised that there could be no answer. His face was neither cold nor indifferent. On the other hand it would be quite wrong to say that it expressed warmth, sympathy or compassion.

All this would be too small to ascribe to him. At the same time it would also be wrong to say that the face of the Buddha expressed unearthly grandeur or divine wisdom. No, it was a human face, yet at the same time a face which men do not happen to have. I felt that all the words I could command would be wrong if applied to the expression of this face. I can only say that here was understanding..."
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Kusala wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:50 am Sri Lanka has been on my bucket list ever since I came across Ouspensky's account of "The Buddha with the Sapphire Eyes"

"Nobody knows when this statue was made; but it is certainly more than a thousand years old.

...The guide quietly went out behind me and sat on the steps of the verandah, and I was left alone with the Buddha.

The face of the Buddha was quite alive; he was not looking straight at me, and yet he saw me. At first I felt nothing but wonder. I had not expected and could not have expected anything like it. But very soon wonder and all other feelings and thoughts disappeared in new and strange sensations.

The Buddha saw me, saw in me that which I could not see myself, all that was hidden in the most secret recesses of my soul. And under his gaze, which, as it were, passed me by, I began to see all this myself.

Everything that was small, superfluous, uneasy and troubled came to the surface and displayed itself under this glance. The face of the Buddha was quite calm, but not expressionless, and full of deep thought and feeling. He was lying here deep in thought, and I had come, opened the doors and stood before him, and now he was involuntarily judging me. But there was no blame or reproach in his glance.

His look was extraordinarily serious, calm and full of understanding. But when I attempted to ask myself what the face of the Buddha expressed, I realised that there could be no answer. His face was neither cold nor indifferent. On the other hand it would be quite wrong to say that it expressed warmth, sympathy or compassion.

All this would be too small to ascribe to him. At the same time it would also be wrong to say that the face of the Buddha expressed unearthly grandeur or divine wisdom. No, it was a human face, yet at the same time a face which men do not happen to have. I felt that all the words I could command would be wrong if applied to the expression of this face. I can only say that here was understanding..."
Thank you for such inspiring passage.
Buddha rupa is always my source of inspiration.
:thumbsup:
Deleted