Previous buddha relics?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
confusedlayman

Previous buddha relics?

Post by confusedlayman »

They were built new to honour them or built during previius big bang?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Coëmgenu

Re: Previous buddha relics?

Post by Coëmgenu »

AFAIK, there are no buddha-relics from Kassapa Buddha. If there are supposed relics from a Mahāyāna Buddha, you should be very suspicious of them, because it has never been a tradition in Mahāyāna to venerate the relics of an ancient Buddha. Generally, they are said to be from foreign world-systems. There are no such relics here. Turning back to Theravāda, Kassapa Buddha has no relics AFAIK, much less Dīpaṃkara Buddha.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
TRobinson465

Re: Previous buddha relics?

Post by TRobinson465 »

I think i read somewhere that after each Lord Buddha's Sasana is gone from the world, his relics ascend to heaven to be venerated by the devas who still remember him. So even though Lord Kassapa Buddha's relics were supposed to be on this world, they disappeared from the world after his teachings were forgotten from the world as did the relics of the previous Buddhas of this world cycle before Lord Gautama.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta