Buddhist shrine direction

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
TRobinson465

Buddhist shrine direction

Post by TRobinson465 »

Hello all,

Are there any texts commentarial or otherwise that talk about the traditional beliefs/superstitions about which direction to face a Buddhist shrine? Im aware traditionally the Buddha attained enlightenment facing east and that in ancient indian languages east is sometimes used as front. I'm wondering about other stuff like the traditional thought on having altars face west or north, what it means, is it good/bad, when is it okay etc.

PS. im not interested in comments about whether or not this is supposed to be done or that its a non-canonical ritual or anything. i just want to know what the traditional beliefs are on this.

:anjali:
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
DiamondNgXZ

Re: Buddhist shrine direction

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

TRobinson465 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:53 am Hello all,

Are there any texts commentarial or otherwise that talk about the traditional beliefs/superstitions about which direction to face a Buddhist shrine? Im aware traditionally the Buddha attained enlightenment facing east and that in ancient indian languages east is sometimes used as front. I'm wondering about other stuff like the traditional thought on having altars face west or north, what it means, is it good/bad, when is it okay etc.

PS. im not interested in comments about whether or not this is supposed to be done or that its a non-canonical ritual or anything. i just want to know what the traditional beliefs are on this.

:anjali:
Not so much from Buddhism as far as I am aware.

Usually the shrines in my family home faces the main door of the house. I guess it's so that visitors when coming in can see the Buddha?

I think if you're really particular about this, ask feng shui masters. They are the experts in this.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Buddhist shrine direction

Post by JamesTheGiant »

It has been random directions, in the monasteries I visit. Just whatever is nicest for the room or garden.
I wonder if it's different in other countries.