Full moon October 21st - Homage to the Triple Gem

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Metta.karuna

Full moon October 21st - Homage to the Triple Gem

Post by Metta.karuna »

Just a place and time to express our respect, homage and gratitude to the Buddha, Dhamma and Samgha…
Everyday… at each instant …

Especially on this auspicious day of the full moon day of October…

To connect our heart with the kusala of saddhā
To nourish our mind with the power of faith and confidence
So that it can open more and more,
Not being constricted by the fetter of doubt, less and less under the control of ego states associated with māna,
Train to let the heart expand in its purity…

And with the power of the Dhamma
Fight ardently, continuously, wholeheartedly, fiercely the kilesā that defile and torture the mind
Without any compromise
Until total victory!

With mettā
:candle: :candle: :candle:

https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=18097
Ontheway

Re: Full moon October 21st - Homage to the Triple Gem

Post by Ontheway »

Metta.karuna wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:24 pm Just a place and time to express our respect, homage and gratitude to the Buddha, Dhamma and Samgha…
Everyday… at each instant …

Especially on this auspicious day of the full moon day of October…

To connect our heart with the kusala of saddhā
To nourish our mind with the power of faith and confidence
So that it can open more and more,
Not being constricted by the fetter of doubt, less and less under the control of ego states associated with māna,
Train to let the heart expand in its purity…

And with the power of the Dhamma
Fight ardently, continuously, wholeheartedly, fiercely the kilesā that defile and torture the mind
Without any compromise
Until total victory!

With mettā
:candle: :candle: :candle:

https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=18097
:anjali: Sadhu...

Do you chant Patthana at home?
I just recite Dhammasangani Tikamātikā once in a while...
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Thanks.

I really like these words indicated:

"And with the power of the Dhamma
Without any compromise Until total victory
! "

The Dhamma based on the Buddha's teachings: Seeing and knowing yourself (sense-spheres) as you really are as anicca, dukkha, anatta. Nothing, both existence and non-existence, is belonging to yourself.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The full-moon day on my calendar often comes one day before that on the Forest Saṅgha’s calendar.

Maybe someone with a thorough knowledge of the Vinaya could explain how it is calculated?

According to Time and Date website, the full-moon was on the 20th October.

In London, UK on 20th October @ 15:56 BST
In Colombo, Sri Lanka on 20th October @ 20:26 BST
In Bangkok, Thailand on 20th October @ 21:56 BST

Why is the Uposatha observed on the day after the actual full-moon?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Metta.karuna

Post by Metta.karuna »

OntheWay,
Yes, it's a practice I found very beneficial both for formal meditation and in daily activities.
I used to chant it with the intention of practising dhammanussati, contemplation of the qualities of the Dhamma.
I wished I could get more organised so to be able to recite it on a more regular, constant basis. For the more it is recited, the more it calms and gladdens the mind...

In traditional recitation books of Patthana, it is said, that the chanting of Patthana is a support to clarify the mind, to uplift it, to develop the 'light of the Dhamma'...
Indeed, this is something that we can experience for ourselves ...
Mettâ
Metta.karuna

Post by Metta.karuna »

Bhikkhu Pesala,

Bhante, yes, indeed, in Burmese calendars, uposasatha days are often one day before those of the Forest Sangha traditions, where I found 2 days are indicated: for example " moon phase astronomical" and one day later 'moon day traditional'...

https://forestsangha.org/community/cale ... nners/2021

With respect,
Mettâ

Thomaslaw,
Thanks.

I really like these words indicated:

"And with the power of the Dhamma
Without any compromise Until total victory ! "

The Dhamma based on the Buddha's teachings: Seeing and knowing yourself (sense-spheres) as you really are as anicca, dukkha, anatta. Nothing, both existence and non-existence, is belonging to yourself.
Sadhu 3X, :candle: :candle: :candle:
Mettâ and Muditâ
Last edited by Metta.karuna on Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Metta.karuna wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:18 pmBhante, yes, indeed, in Burmese calendars, Uposatha days are often one day before those of the Forest Sangha traditions.
Thank you. That is reassuring. I seem to be steering the middle-way between the Burmese and Thai calendars, so I will continue what I am doing, which is to follow the Astronomical moon-days, and adjust them wherever necessary to fit the 14/15 day spacing between Uposatha days.

At least I was in agreement with the Burmese calendar for October, if not for November and December
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Metta.karuna wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:07 pm OntheWay,
Yes, it's a practice I found very beneficial both for formal meditation and in daily activities.
I used to chant it with the intention of practising dhammanussati, contemplation of the qualities of the Dhamma.
I wished I could get more organised so to be able to recite it on a more regular, constant basis. For the more it is recited, the more it calms and gladdens the mind...

In traditional recitation books of Patthana, it is said, that the chanting of Patthana is a support to clarify the mind, to uplift it, to develop the 'light of the Dhamma'...
Indeed, this is something that we can experience for ourselves ...
Mettâ
Hi Metta Karuna, thanks for sharing.
Patthana is such a long text, it is amazing that you have the patience to recite it. Sadhu...

For me, I just follow the Thai tradition of chanting Abhidhamma or sometimes Dhammasangani Tikamātikā before meditation.
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/ ... anting.htm
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Ontheway wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:53 amPatthana is such a long text, it is amazing that you have the patience to recite it. Sadhu...
What people usually chant is just the Paccayuddeso and Paccayaniddeso, which is not so long (though I have never made the effort to memorise it myself).
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:33 am
Ontheway wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:53 amPatthana is such a long text, it is amazing that you have the patience to recite it. Sadhu...
What people usually chant is just the Paccayuddeso and Paccayaniddeso, which is not so long (though I have never made the effort to memorise it myself).
Thank you Bhante for sharing the Paccayaniddeso Pali text.

For me, I memorised the Paccayuddeso in Pali and English only. Next time, I will learn to chant the whole passage on Uposatha Day.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Metta.karuna

Post by Metta.karuna »

What people usually chant is just the Paccayuddeso and Paccayaniddeso, which is not so long (though I have never made the effort to memorise it myself)
Bhante,
Thank you for the precision. It is indeed what I'm used to chant.
:anjali:

Ontheway,
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: ↑Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:33 pm

Ontheway wrote: ↑Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:53 am
Patthana is such a long text, it is amazing that you have the patience to recite it. Sadhu...

Thank you Bhante for sharing the Paccayaniddeso Pali text.

For me, I memorised the Paccayuddeso in Pali and English only. Next time, I will learn to chant the whole passage on Uposatha Day.
Sadhu 3X for your bold intention full of good energy. :clap: :clap: :clap:
May you reap the many fruits of your faithful effort.
May our heart be clear, gladden and peaceful. May this be a support for us to practice diligently, ardently, relentlessly, and with mindfulness, see things as they are.
Mettâ