Which Pagoda or Cetiya contains Lord Buddha's relics?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
zak

Re: Which Pagoda or Cetiya contains Lord Buddha's relics?

Post by zak »

Ontheway wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:06 am Been thinking to have a pilgrimage trip once Covid19 pandemic is over, want to pay homage to the places where Lord Buddha's relics reside.

But the problem is, which stupa contains real relics?

I search on internet and they give me Shwedagon pagoda, Phra Pathommachedi, Mahiyangana Stupa...

Anyone got info? Thanks.
You should visit Shwedagon pagoda. It has four previous buddhas relics. Not only Gottama buddha.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

zak wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:07 am
Ontheway wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:06 am Been thinking to have a pilgrimage trip once Covid19 pandemic is over, want to pay homage to the places where Lord Buddha's relics reside.

I search on internet and they give me Shwedagon pagoda, Phra Pathommachedi, Mahiyangana Stupa...

Anyone got info? Thanks.
You should visit Shwedagon pagoda. It has four previous buddhas relics. Not only Gottama buddha.
Hi, Zak. About Shwedagon pagoda, I have questions. How the relics of previous Sammasambuddhas can still exist in present age? Those relics preserved by who? Assuming they exist during the time of Gotama Buddha, why the Pali Tipitaka did not mention them?

Any explanations from the Burmese Theravada Buddhist tradition? :anjali:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
zak

Post by zak »

Ontheway wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:10 am

Anyone got info? Thanks.
Hi, Zak. About Shwedagon pagoda, I have questions. How the relics of previous Sammasambuddhas can still exist in present age? Those relics preserved by who? Assuming they exist during the time of Gotama Buddha, why the Pali Tipitaka did not mention them?

Burmese legend states that the site for the Shwedagon was asked from Sakka but he is not old enough to know about that so he asked from older earth deities. Pagoda was asked to be revealed from an five old nats (earth deities) .
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

zak wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:40 am
Ontheway wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:10 am

Burmese legend states that the site for the Shwedagon was asked from Sakka but he is not old enough to know about that so he asked from older earth deities. Pagoda was asked to be revealed from an five old nats (earth deities) .
I see, thanks for the answer. Interesting.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

Xuanzang wrote about various stupas and sites he encountered during his travels. Maybe you could find something useful in there. But I'm guessing a lot of those sites are underground at this point.