Which Pagoda or Cetiya contains Lord Buddha's relics?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Ontheway

Which Pagoda or Cetiya contains Lord Buddha's relics?

Post by Ontheway »

Been thinking to have a pilgrimage trip once Covid19 pandemic is over, want to pay homage to the places where Lord Buddha's relics reside.

But the problem is, which stupa contains real relics?

I search on internet and they give me Shwedagon pagoda, Phra Pathommachedi, Mahiyangana Stupa...

Anyone got info? Thanks.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
SarathW

Re: Which Pagoda or Cetiya contains Lord Buddha's relics?

Post by SarathW »

It is believed and there are historical records that Buddha's tooth relics are in Kandy Dalada (means tooth) Maligava.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

The National Museum in New Delhi has bone fragments, and they aren't sealed up inside a gold box or vault. They're in a glass case and you can see them close up.
https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/ ... cle3796022
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Thanks for the info.

On YouTube, I saw certain Sri Lankan youngster said it was true that the tooth relic was brought to Sri Lanka. But due to wars and transportation, no one is sure whether the Kandy Dalada is the true one... :| What about Thuparamaya dagaba? Mahaveli dagaba? Abhayagiri dagaba? Jetawana dagaba?Kelaniya dagaba? Have you been there before?

It seems Nepal refuse to acknowledge that museum's relics...I wonder why.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

BKh

Post by BKh »

I'd recommend Sri Lanka. It's hard to say with absolute certainty which stupas contain relics. However I can say for sure that if you went on pilgrimage in Sri Lanka and visited the major sutpas you will have worshiped real relics.

The advantage of Sri Lanka is that it is a small country so in about two weeks you can comfortably visit all the important and even lesser sites. The other advantage is that there will be friendly people worshiping at these places so you are lifted up by their devotion as well. There will always be road side vendors near the important sutpas selling flowers, incense, oil for lamps etc.

As well, the Colombo National Museum has a wonderful collection of Buddha statues and artifacts.

And it's a much easier country to visit than India. Although if a pilgrimage in India is an option, that would be hard to pass up.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
mario92

Post by mario92 »

If you live in United States, i think in Los Angeles California, they have a buddha relic, specifically in mount Lu temple.

Here is the direction to get there.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lu+Mo ... ?hl=es-419
un8-

Post by un8- »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:42 am The National Museum in New Delhi has bone fragments, and they aren't sealed up inside a gold box or vault. They're in a glass case and you can see them close up.
https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/ ... cle3796022
Odd that there are no high res photos, and it would be cool if scientists could do some genetic testing and reconstruction.
There is only one battle that could be won, and that is the battle against the 3 poisons. Any other battle is a guaranteed loss because you're going to die either way.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Ontheway wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:06 am Been thinking to have a pilgrimage trip once Covid19 pandemic is over,
I recommend going to the actual places the Buddha lived and taught. It's so amazing to see the actual rocks he sat on, and taught from, like at Vulture's Peak, and Bodh Gaya where he sat, and the Deer Park where he gave his first teaching. Just so incredible.

Plus India is insane and beautiful.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Ten Stūpas
  1. King Ajātasattu of Magadha erected a stūpa over the Buddha’s relics at Rājagaha.
  2. The Licchavīs of Vesāli erected a stūpa at Vesāli
  3. The Sakyas of Kapilavatthu erected a stūpa at Kapilavatthu,
  4. The Bulis of Allakappa erected a stūpa at Allakappa,
  5. The Koliyās of Rāmagāma erected a stūpa at Rāmagāma
  6. The Veṭhadīpa brahmin erected a stūpa at Veṭhadīpa.
  7. The Mallas of Pāvā erected a stūpa at Pāvā
  8. The Mallas of Kusinārā erected a stūpa at Kusināra
The brahmin Dona who divided the relics fairly into eight portions erected a stūpa over the urn that was used to preserve the relics.
The Moriyās of Pippalivana erected a stūpa over the ashes of the funeral pyre at Pippalivana,
So it came about that there were eight stūpas for the relics, a ninth for the urn, and a tenth for the ashes.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:33 pm The Ten Stūpas
  1. King Ajātasattu of Magadha erected a stūpa over the Buddha’s relics at Rājagaha.
I wonder if they have all been identified and located? The Indian archaeological service is pretty good about identifying ancient stupas.
Some are certainly low mounds of rubble these days.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:33 pm The Ten Stūpas
The brahmin Dona who divided the relics fairly into eight portions erected a stūpa over the urn that was used to preserve the relics.
The Moriyās of Pippalivana erected a stūpa over the ashes of the funeral pyre at Pippalivana,
So it came about that there were eight stūpas for the relics, a ninth for the urn, and a tenth for the ashes.
Thank you Bhante for the list.
But from what I read from King Asoka's life story, it seems he gathered all the relics and redistributed them all over India.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

BKh wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:39 pm I'd recommend Sri Lanka. It's hard to say with absolute certainty which stupas contain relics. However I can say for sure that if you went on pilgrimage in Sri Lanka and visited the major sutpas you will have worshiped real relics.

The advantage of Sri Lanka is that it is a small country so in about two weeks you can comfortably visit all the important and even lesser sites. The other advantage is that there will be friendly people worshiping at these places so you are lifted up by their devotion as well. There will always be road side vendors near the important sutpas selling flowers, incense, oil for lamps etc.

As well, the Colombo National Museum has a wonderful collection of Buddha statues and artifacts.

And it's a much easier country to visit than India. Although if a pilgrimage in India is an option, that would be hard to pass up.
I think Sri Lanka is an ideal place to start with, before going to India.

Thanks for the info.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

BKh

Post by BKh »

Sri Lanka is certainly easier travel wise. Travel illness is almost non-existent. And you will spend much, much less time on the road than a pilgrimage to India. Also, it's a Buddhist country, so that's an added bonus. You will see not only ruins but places that are still used by Buddhists as a part of daily life.

All that said, one can't argue against the experience of pilgrimage in India, despite the hardships.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

BKh wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:25 am Sri Lanka is certainly easier travel wise. Travel illness is almost non-existent. And you will spend much, much less time on the road than a pilgrimage to India. Also, it's a Buddhist country, so that's an added bonus. You will see not only ruins but places that are still used by Buddhists as a part of daily life.

All that said, one can't argue against the experience of pilgrimage in India, despite the hardships.
Appreciate your input.

Yes, India is the best place for pilgrimage since Buddha mentioned four sacred places to be worshipped in Maha Parinibbana Sutta. Yet I find it difficult to cope with journeys and possible scammers around.

I think I will start with Sri Lanka then.
Need to plan for itinerary. Once Covid19 is gone, I will visit Sri Lanka with my family members.

Have you been to Sri Lanka? Do you hire a local guide or simply backpacking & travel?

Personally I speak multiple languages, but to learn Sinhalese is quite impossible for me.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

BKh

Post by BKh »

Why don't you start a new thread to talk about pilgrimage in Sri Lanka? It might attract others who have been. I'd be happy to answer your questions there.