Buddha without an arm, disrespectful?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Quantum Foam

Buddha without an arm, disrespectful?

Post by Quantum Foam »

I have a somewhat bizarre question about the home altar and choosing a Buddha statue. I really like the Gandhara period in Buddhist art, now I have found a very nice replica from the time that does not cost that much money either. But this replica has no arm, is it okay for an altar or is it disrespectful to the image of the Buddha? I think it's beautiful and you can understand the missing arm as something symbolic that makes you think of anicca.

Thanks!

Ceisiwr

Re: Buddha without an arm, disrespectful?

Post by Ceisiwr »

It's not disrespectful, and it clearly invokes wholesome thoughts in you so I'd say go with it.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

its only disrespectful if you think its disrespectful in your own mind.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

In Sri Lanka we visit very old Buddhist temples where you find lot of distorted Buddha statues.
People still place flowers etc next to them.
However this statue is more of a ancient artifact. Perhaps it is suitable as an ornament in the house because we have the image that Buddha as perfect.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Can be an ornamental piece of art.

But not an object of veneration or devotion.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
bodom

Post by bodom »

A short story from Ajahn Chah:
Sometimes I’d go to see old religious sites with ancient temples. In some places they would be cracked. Maybe one of my friends would remark, "Such a shame, isn’t it? It’s cracked." I’d answer, "If they weren’t cracked there’d be no such thing as the Buddha. There’d be no Dhamma. It’s cracked like this because it’s perfectly in line with the Buddha’s teaching."
https://zbohy.zatma.org/Dharma/zbohy/Sr ... nchah.html

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Not at all. It beautifully illustrates the teachings.

One who sees the Dhamma also sees the Buddha.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.