What is the correct way to worship?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The following video in the Sinhalese language demonstrates the correct way and the incorrect way to worship.
The incorrect way is demonstrated from counter 5:20
It appears touching the feet is not allowed however it appears the touching fees demonstrate at counter 10:10 seems acceptable.
Even a woman can touch the feet of a monk.
I felt this is odd.
So how do you practice worship?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Re: What is the correct way to worship?

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:46 am What is the correct way to worship?

The following video in the Sinhalese language demonstrates the correct way and the incorrect way to worship.
The incorrect way is demonstrated from counter 5:20
It appears touching the feet is not allowed however it appears the touching fees demonstrate at counter 10:10 seems acceptable.
Even a woman can touch the feet of a monk.
I felt this is odd.
So how do you practice worship?
I think Yasodhara (laywoman, before she became nun) also touched the Buddha's feet, when the Buddha visited her in the palace. But Buddha did then lay down a Vinaya rule cannot touch woman or touched by woman. Since the monks are not even Arahant and Arahants also follow Vinaya rules, so they should just follow the Vinaya rule.

I follow Thais' ways of paying respect (การไหว้), which I believed it was originated from Indian culture. While standing, I will just hold my hands together at the position of heart, and slowly go up to the forehead. For example,
9-temples-make-merit-trip.jpg
Hold the hands at the position near heart

100644869_1354594461549349_8216780480339509248_n.jpg
Then, while raising hands to forehead, bend down the body showing humility.

Or when I do prostration, I do like this:
benjang_1.jpg
All pictures from Google Image.

I think paying homage to the Triple Gems frequently is really a good practice. Not only it cultivates Saddha, but also trains the mind to show humility, respect, be submissive to Triple Gems. And it generates good merits too.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
confusedlayman

Re: What is the correct way to worship?

Post by confusedlayman »

If u have non ill will and respect for sangha that itself will be worship as somepeople cant bend due to obesity
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...