Thich Nhat Hanh has passed

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
pegembara

Re: Thich Nhat Hanh has passed

Post by pegembara »

And yes. There is also no here or there or in between. No coming or going.

Just this.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

PeterC86 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:21 pm He will always have a special place in my heart, as through one of his lectures I have understood that there is no coming and going.
This is the lecture I was referring to. I had to look it up.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

pegembara wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:47 am
PeterC86 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:21 pm He will always have a special place in my heart, as through one of his lectures I have understood that there is no coming and going.

There is no "cloud". Calling something a cloud doesn't mean it truly exist.
We project "thingness" onto our experiences. This is ... and that is ...
I am ... and you/they are ...

:candle:
In this video counter 5.53 he says that Buddha said that all views are wrong views.
However, Theravada Noble Eightfold Path starts with the right view.
It is called the right view because it is free from craving I me and myself all the other views explained in DN 1 are due to craving.
It is called the right view because it will lead eliminate all views. He finally realise even the teaching of Buddha is a view but without craving.
I believe that he is a Mahayana monk.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BKh

Post by BKh »

form wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:59 am I respect and like him a lot. But what has his interbeing explanation got to do with dependant origination he or others talk about?
As dear as he is, it's important to remember that he was a Mahayana monk who taught Mahayana doctrine. There's nothing wrong with that.

If someone wants to discuss how Mahayana is not the same as Theravada, this isn't the thread. Please start a new one.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

SarathW wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:08 am

In this video counter 5.53 he says that Buddha said that all views are wrong views.
It is called the right view because it is free from craving I me and myself all the other views explained in DN 1 are due to craving.
It is called the right view because it will lead eliminate all views. He finally realise even the teaching of Buddha is a view but without craving.
You start with the right view but in the end, the "right" view is the absence of views. Having a view is the result of craving.
Whether it's Mahayana, Vajrayana, or "Hinayana", the ultimate realization(of anatta or emptiness) is the same although the expression may appear different imo.
Dandapani ("Stick-in-hand") the Sakyan, out roaming & rambling for exercise, also went to the Great Wood. Plunging into the Great Wood, he went to where the Blessed One was under the bilva sapling. On arrival, he exchanged courteous greetings with him. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he stood to one side. As he was standing there, he said to the Blessed One, "What is the contemplative's doctrine? What does he proclaim?"

"The sort of doctrine, friend, where one does not keep quarreling with anyone in the cosmos with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, with its contemplatives & brahmans, its royalty & commonfolk; the sort [of doctrine] where perceptions no longer obsess the brahman who remains dissociated from sensuality, free from perplexity, his uncertainty cut away, devoid of craving for becoming & non-. Such is my doctrine, such is what I proclaim."

"If, monk, with regard to the cause whereby the perceptions & categories of objectification assail a person, there is nothing there to relish, welcome, or remain fastened to, then that is the end of the obsessions of passion, the obsessions of resistance, the obsessions of views, the obsessions of uncertainty, the obsessions of conceit, the obsessions of passion for becoming, & the obsessions of ignorance. That is the end of taking up rods & bladed weapons, of arguments, quarrels, disputes, accusations, divisive tale-bearing, & false speech. That is where these evil, unskillful things cease without remainder." That is what the Blessed One said. Having said it, the One Well-gone got up from his seat and went into his dwelling.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

PeterC86 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:56 am
This is the lecture I was referring to. I had to look it up.

Empty phenomena rolling on.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

:candle: :candle: :candle:

Great teacher. I was very lucky to have met him maybe a decade ago when he visited Deer Park here in the States.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

pegembara wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:03 am
SarathW wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:08 am

You start with the right view but in the end, the "right" view is the absence of views. Having a view is the result of craving.
Whether it's Mahayana, Vajrayana, or "Hinayana", the ultimate realization(of anatta or emptiness) is the same although the expression may appear different imo.
Ah yes,...doctrines,...they will tell you; this is the path, and that is not the path...never will a follower understand dependent origination.
S. Johann

Post by S. Johann »

pegembara wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:42 am And yes. There is also no here or there or in between. No coming or going.

Just this.
Trees and flowers are also subject to decay after coming again... But some wish others to follow there.

But there is act-ually no different between Theravada-householder-abhidhamma-Zen and Singing-trees&flower-Zen, just that the second are more aware of there turning path.

"You might remember and see me in one or another flower or tree..." (the asannasatta?)
You may make use of this account as wished for good, it's a cast off one. Password: 12345678. As the good stuff gets usually censured here, good if being quick to find ways out.
S. Johann

Post by S. Johann »

BKh wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:38 am
form wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:59 am I respect and like him a lot. But what has his interbeing explanation got to do with dependant origination he or others talk about?
As dear as he is, it's important to remember that he was a Mahayana monk who taught Mahayana doctrine. There's nothing wrong with that.
Face and nameless Bhante, it would be most wrong to say that A-Dhamma to spread is nothing wrong, or?

And it would be also not supportive to encourage to blame of praise-worthy and praiseworthy to blame.

It's a good tread to remember that one who had actually a large potential used it for the sake of the world off, either for his own nor for others benefit. It's very easy to miss out even best possibilities.

At least, dwelling in a householders house, it's maybe not proper to order around as if ones own, or? At least toward householders there?
You may make use of this account as wished for good, it's a cast off one. Password: 12345678. As the good stuff gets usually censured here, good if being quick to find ways out.
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:45 pm He was an excellent writer and teacher, his books really helped me.
Do we know if he attained a particular level of enlightenment?
Oneness by Thich Nhat Hanh
The moment I die,
I will try to come back to you
as quickly as possible.
I promise it will not take long.
Isn’t it true
I am already with you,
as I die each moment?
I come back to you
in every moment.
Just look,
feel my presence.
If you want to cry,
please cry.
And know
that I will cry with you.
The tears you shed
will heal us both.
Your tears are mine.
The earth I tread this morning
transcends history.
Spring and Winter are both present in the moment.
The young leaf and the dead leaf are really one.
My feet touch deathlessness,
and my feet are yours.
Walk with me now.
Let us enter the dimension of oneness
and see the cherry tree blossom in Winter.
Why should we talk about death?
I don’t need to die
to be back with you.
Published in Call Me by My True Names, Thich Nhat Hanh (1993)
NG_ilHO7phz8K-u4O_V36OX8c_wH9HTfLJ8Gx5uI9tA.jpg
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
S. Johann

Post by S. Johann »

Encouragement for collective suicide/again, and again, for the sake of craving... "I'll be back"... on doubt.
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

:candle: :candle: :candle:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Ajahn Sucitto has offered these reflections on Nhat Hanh and what he meant to him:

http://sucitto.blogspot.com/
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:03 am Ajahn Sucitto has offered these reflections on Nhat Hanh and what he meant to him:

http://sucitto.blogspot.com/
I found it a very sincere and multi-faceted piece. What is missing to me is the simple statement that the bulk of Thich Nhat Hanh's teachings are not aimed at monks, like Ajahn Sucitto, but laypeople who are leading lay lives. So no wonder they did not resonate. Like most of HH The Dalai Lama's works, I would call them "Buddhist outreach". Broadly Buddhist or Buddhism-inspired teachings for the broad audience to either encourage them to incorporate some of that or even take actual interest in Buddhism.
_/|\_