Samyutta Nikaya and the nine angas

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Kare

Samyutta Nikaya and the nine angas

Post by Kare »

Some time ago I read an article that compared the Samyutta Nikaya to the nine angas, and if I remember correctly, it seems that all the original angas can be found in the Samyutta. But I do not remember who wrote this or where I read about it. I'll be grateful if someone can point to where this article can be found.
Mettāya,
Kåre
daverupa

Re: Samyutta Nikaya and the nine angas

Post by daverupa »

I'm pretty sure it's in Choong Mun-keat, The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism: A comparative study based on the Sutranga portion of the Pali Sarpyutta-Nikaya and the Chinese Sarpyuktagama

He refers to the work of Yin Shun who showed the three-anga structure of the SN/SA; anyway if this isn't the book, I bet the one you're thinking of is in the bibliography.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Kare

Post by Kare »

Thanks a lot! I'll have a look.
Mettāya,
Kåre
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Ven. Sujato goes into detail about angas in his A History of Mindfulness. I only skimmed it and this was awhile ago so I don't remember much, but you might find something there.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Kare

Post by Kare »

Thankful for all help!
Mettāya,
Kåre
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Hi Kare,

Regarding the three angas structure of Samyutta/Samyukta, the following article written by Choong Mun-keat is also very useful:

'Problems and Prospects of the Chinese Samyukta-agama: Its Structure and Content' in Translating Buddhist Chinese, pp. 53-64 (Harrassowitz Verlag, 2010).

Best wishes,

Thomas