SN 46: Why are the 5 hindrances & 7 factors of enlightenment paired?

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
DooDoot

SN 46: Why are the 5 hindrances & 7 factors of enlightenment paired?

Post by DooDoot »

Dear DW forum

I apologise for myself appearing so lazy & not doing more reading & research.

My question is why are the 5 hindrances & 7 factors of enlightenment (dualistically) paired in Chapter 46 of the SN?

What is the unique quality of the 7 factors of enlightenment that they are paired with the 5 hindrances; given I imagine there could have been other sets of wholesome dhammas (such as the 5 faculties or 5 strengths) that could have been paired (dualistically or antagonistically) with the 5 hindrances?

Also, are the 5 hindrances & 7 factors of enlightenment only paired in the Nīvaraṇa Vagga of Chapter 46; or does the pairing exist throughout the entire Chapter 46?

Also, my question also includes the assumption or guess this pairing accounts for the inclusion of both the 5 hindrances & 7 factors of enlightenment in the 4th satipatthanas of MN 10 & DN 22.

Thank you

:smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Spiny Norman

Re: SN 46: Why are the 5 hindrances & 7 factors of enlightenment paired?

Post by Spiny Norman »

In SN46.33 the hindrances are described as corruptions of mind.
In SN46.34 the enlightenment factors are described as non-corruptions of mind, and as non-hindrances. Also in SN46.31 the enlightenment factors are described as wholesome states.

This could be viewed as an application of Right Effort, where there is nutriment of the enlightenment factors and denourishment of the hindrances (see SN46.51).

This would explain why they are paired in SN46 - as an important expression of Right Effort.
Last edited by Spiny Norman on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

I think they are paired because they carryout opposite functions. Five hindrances are classed under dhammas which partake of Avijja (avijjābhāgino).
Seven enlightenment factors are classed under dhammas which partake of Vijja (vijjābhāgino).

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Srilankaputra wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:01 am I think they are paired because they carryout opposite functions. Five hindrances are classed under dhammas which partake of Avijja (avijjābhāgino).
Seven enlightenment factors are classed under dhammas which partake of Vijja (vijjābhāgino).
Given that they are opposites, is it the case that the enlightenment factors progressively "displace" the hindrances?
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Dinsdale wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 am
Srilankaputra wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:01 am I think they are paired because they carryout opposite functions. Five hindrances are classed under dhammas which partake of Avijja (avijjābhāgino).
Given that they are opposites, is it the case that the enlightenment factors progressively "displace" the hindrances?
The suttas talk about practicing such that the enlightenment factors go to fulfilment by development (bhāvanāpāripūriṃ gacchanti). I guess as they develop there is less and less chance of being overcome by the hindrances.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Srilankaputra wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:49 am
Dinsdale wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 am
The suttas talk about practicing such that the enlightenment factors go to fulfilment by development (bhāvanāpāripūriṃ gacchanti). I guess as they develop there is less and less chance of being overcome by the hindrances.
Yes, and vice versa.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dinsdale wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:17 am this could be viewed as an application of Right Effort, where there is nutriment of the enlightenment factors and denourishment of the hindrances (see SN 46.51).
Thank you for the above, Dinsdale. I looked at SN 46.51 and it is close to what I imagined but is not a perfect match. SN 46.51 says:

1. Hindrance of sensual desire is starved by the sign of ugliness. While this is correct, the hindrance of sensual desire can also be starved by non-sensual rapture (pīti) factor of enlightenment.

2. Hindrance of ill-will is starved by metta. While this is correct, the hindrance of ill-will can also be starved by non-sensual rapture & tranquility factors of enlightenment.

3. Hindrance of sloth & torpor is starved by effort (parakkama); which is similar to energy (vīriya) factor of enlightenment.

4. Hindrance of restlessness & remorse is starved by settled mind (vūpasamo); which is similar to tranquility (passaddhi) factor of enlightenment.

5. Hindrance of doubt is starved by giving careful attention to qualities that are skillful and unskillful, blameworthy and blameless, inferior and superior, and those on the side of dark and bright; which is exactly the same as the awakening factor of investigation of principles.

Cool. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

Phena

Post by Phena »

Why are the 5 hindrances & 7 factors of enlightenment paired?
Although Ignorance has no discernible beginning, the five hindrances are the nutriment for ignorance. Cultivation of the seven enlightenment factors are the way to abolish ignorance.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Five hindrances :mrgreen: