MĀ 215

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Ceisiwr

MĀ 215

Post by Ceisiwr »

If anyone could point me in the direction of an English translation for MĀ 215, or if they would be so kind as to translate this paragraph for me I would be very much appreciative.
「復次,有四想,有 比丘想小、想大、想無量、想無所有,眾生如是 樂想意解者,變易有異。多聞聖弟子如是觀 則厭彼,厭彼已,尚不欲第一,況復下賤?復 次有八除處。云何為八?比丘,內有色想,外 觀色,少善色惡色,彼色除已知、除已見,作 如是想:『是謂第一除處。』復次,比丘!內有色 想,外觀色,無量善色惡色,彼色除已知、除 已見,作如是想:『是謂第 二 除處。』復次,比丘!內 無色想,外觀色,少善色惡色,彼色除已知、 除已見,作如是想:『是謂第三除處。』復次, 比丘!內無色想,外觀色,無量善色惡色,彼 色除已知、除已見,作如是想:『是謂第四除 處。』

「復次,比丘!內無色想,外觀色,青青色,青 見青光。猶如青水華,青青色,青見青光。猶 如成就波羅 [木*奈] 衣,熟擣磨碾,光色悅澤, 青青色,青見青光。如是,比丘!內無色想,外 觀色,青青色,青見青光,無量無量,淨意潤 意,樂不憎惡。彼色除已知、除已見,作如是 想:『是謂第五除處。』復次,比丘!內無色想,外 觀色,黃黃色,黃見黃光。猶如頻頭歌羅華, 黃黃色,黃見黃光。猶如成就波羅 [木*奈] 衣,熟 擣磨碾,光色悅澤,黃黃色,黃見黃光。如是, 比丘!內無色想,外觀色,黃黃色,黃見黃光, 無量無量,淨意潤意,樂不憎惡。彼色除已知、 除已見,作如是想:『是謂第六除處。』
https://suttacentral.net/ma215/lzh/taisho
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
salayatananirodha

Re: MĀ 215

Post by salayatananirodha »

you could ask someone who's chinese to translate it
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:46 pm If anyone could point me in the direction of an English translation for MĀ 215, or if they would be so kind as to translate this paragraph for me I would be very much appreciative.
「復次,有四想,有 比丘想小、想大、想無量、想無所有,眾生如是 樂想意解者,變易有異。多聞聖弟子如是觀 則厭彼,厭彼已,尚不欲第一,況復下賤?復 次有八除處。云何為八?比丘,內有色想,外 觀色,少善色惡色,彼色除已知、除已見,作 如是想:『是謂第一除處。』復次,比丘!內有色 想,外觀色,無量善色惡色,彼色除已知、除 已見,作如是想:『是謂第 二 除處。』復次,比丘!內 無色想,外觀色,少善色惡色,彼色除已知、 除已見,作如是想:『是謂第三除處。』復次, 比丘!內無色想,外觀色,無量善色惡色,彼 色除已知、除已見,作如是想:『是謂第四除 處。』

「復次,比丘!內無色想,外觀色,青青色,青 見青光。猶如青水華,青青色,青見青光。猶 如成就波羅 [木*奈] 衣,熟擣磨碾,光色悅澤, 青青色,青見青光。如是,比丘!內無色想,外 觀色,青青色,青見青光,無量無量,淨意潤 意,樂不憎惡。彼色除已知、除已見,作如是 想:『是謂第五除處。』復次,比丘!內無色想,外 觀色,黃黃色,黃見黃光。猶如頻頭歌羅華, 黃黃色,黃見黃光。猶如成就波羅 [木*奈] 衣,熟 擣磨碾,光色悅澤,黃黃色,黃見黃光。如是, 比丘!內無色想,外觀色,黃黃色,黃見黃光, 無量無量,淨意潤意,樂不憎惡。彼色除已知、 除已見,作如是想:『是謂第六除處。』
https://suttacentral.net/ma215/lzh/taisho
put it in google translate u can get overall meaning.. it should suffice u till someone translate properly...

I think it talks about small big limitless and nothing... small inner colour and big outer colour so there is fight.. big colour vs another big colour fight, limitless colour won't fight because its everywhere. nothing means still safe no quarrell

im speculating
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
asahi

Post by asahi »

:oops:
No bashing No gossiping
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

asahi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:11 pm:oops:
Oh, wasn’t that correct?
asahi

Post by asahi »

It was correct , though translation was in a bit rush at the time . I was thinking doing a little amendment .

「復次,有四想,有 比丘想小、想大、想無量、想無所有,眾生如是 樂想意解者,變易有異。多聞聖弟子如是觀 則厭彼,厭彼已,尚不欲第一,況復下賤?

Further more , there are four type of perception . Bhikkhus , there are perception that are confined , that are comprehensive , that are of immensity and also of nothingness . They are beings who comprehend in such a way and delighting in such perception yet these are subject to change and alteration . The learned noble disciple thus contemplate and becomes disgusted with it , being disgusted , he becomes distaste towards the foremost , hence not to mention that which are of the inferior type .

復 次有八除處。云何為八?
比丘,內有色想,外 觀色,少善色惡色,彼色除已知、除已見,作 如是想:『是謂第一除處。』

Further more , there are eight bases of mastery . Which eight ?
Bhikkhus , perceiving form internally , (while) contemplating form externally , not focusing on the wholesomeness and unwholesomeness of form , thus overcoming the form , one's know and see . As such perceiving this is the first mastery base .

復次,比丘!內有色 想,外觀色,無量善色惡色,彼色除已知、除 已見,作如是想:『是謂第 二 除處。』

Further more bhikkhus , internally perceiving form , contemplating on myriad wholesomeness and unwholesomeness of external form , thus overcoming the form , one's know and see . As such perceiving this is the second mastery base .

復次,比丘!內 無色想,外觀色,少善色惡色,彼色除已知、 除已見,作如是想:『是謂第三除處。』

Furthermore bhikkhus , not perceiving form internally , (while) contemplating external form , not focusing on wholesomeness and unwholesomeness of form , thus overcoming the form , one's see and know .
As such perceiving this is the third mastery base .

復次, 比丘!內無色想,外觀色,無量善色惡色,彼 色除已知、除已見,作如是想:『是謂第四除 處。』

Furthermore bhikkhus , not perceiving form internally , contemplating on myriad wholesomeness and unwholesomeness of external form , thus overcoming the form , one's know and see . As such perceiving this is the fourth mastery base .
No bashing No gossiping
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

asahi wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:13 pm It was correct , though translation was in a bit rush at the time . I was thinking doing a little amendment
Thanks very much :thumbsup: