Advaita Vedanta

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Ceisiwr

Advaita Vedanta

Post by Ceisiwr »

Does this Agama show evidence of early Advaita Vedanta during the Buddha's time?
Thus have I heard. At one time the Buddha was staying at Sāvatthī in Jeta's Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika's Park.

At that time the Blessed One said to the monks: “The existence of what is the cause, by clinging to what, by being fettered and attached to what, by seeing what as the self, do living beings have a view like this and speak like this: 'In this way myself and another are entirely not two, not different, no less than that?'”

The monks said to the Buddha: “The Blessed One is the root of the Dharma, the eye of the Dharma, the foundation of the Dharma …” to be recited fully in the same way in the sequence of the above three discourses.
https://suttacentral.net/sa153/en/analayo
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: Advaita Vedanta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

This reminds me of:
  • I just got up, I got up, I just started to walk around and communicate with the walls. And, they were ..... me. And, so is the whole world.
    from ... 3 Key Moments for Shinzen Young
:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:30 pm Does this Agama show evidence of early Advaita Vedanta during the Buddha's time?
every philosophy was present then

including skeptics…

though not Scientology
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:11 pm
though not Scientology
:jumping:

It’s just a racket.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:15 pm
cappuccino wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:11 pm
though not Scientology
It’s just a racket.
A religion of delusions
sydimplosion

Post by sydimplosion »

Advaita Vedanta was, likely, influenced by Buddhism to fill in the metaphysical details of the end result of moksha while maintaining the authority of the Vedas . Vedic nondualism did not originate with Advaita Vedanta, however.
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

I think that Advaita Vedanta is just as legitimate a spiritual practice as any school of proper Buddhism.

Romana Maharshi was a truly enlightenment man (Advaita Vedanta).

Advaita Vedanta is very, very similar to Vajrayana Buddhism (Qigong, Tibetan Yoga).

Peace and enlightenment. :namaste:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
Stefos

Post by Stefos »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:30 pm Does this Agama show evidence of early Advaita Vedanta during the Buddha's time?
Thus have I heard. At one time the Buddha was staying at Sāvatthī in Jeta's Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika's Park.

At that time the Blessed One said to the monks: “The existence of what is the cause, by clinging to what, by being fettered and attached to what, by seeing what as the self, do living beings have a view like this and speak like this: 'In this way myself and another are entirely not two, not different, no less than that?'”

The monks said to the Buddha: “The Blessed One is the root of the Dharma, the eye of the Dharma, the foundation of the Dharma …” to be recited fully in the same way in the sequence of the above three discourses.
https://suttacentral.net/sa153/en/analayo
Hi,

Advaita Vedanta was probably not known by the Buddha as there is no evidence that Upanishadic thought in it's fullness was understood in the area the Buddha lived in.

Not only that but the term "Atma" was not clear cut in the time of the Buddha too, from what I've researched and read, and many people used it for different things.......No homogeneity in other words.

Finally, since the Buddha never taught annihilation, when he attained Paranibbana what happened? His "essence" didn't dissolve.
The same thing can be said in Advaita Vedanta about the atma.....It goes, Parabrahman exists, not just Brahman.

Stefos