Early schools

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
asahi

Re: Early schools

Post by asahi »

Screenshot_20220109-163129_Chrome.jpg

This is over simplified :coffee:
No bashing No gossiping
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

thomaslaw wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:10 am
simsapa wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:07 am Where can I find high-quality information on the early schools of Buddhism, other than the antecedents of the modern Theravada? I'm interested in learning more about the differences between the views of early sects.
The following pages 2-7 (in p. 5 a figure on The First Five Centuries of Buddhism) by Choong Mun-keat may be useful:
I think the historical terms and their contents, Original Buddhism, Early Buddhism, Sectarian Buddhism, indicated in the above quotation, provide clearer historical phrases for 'Studies in Early Buddhism/EBTs'.

The terms are mainly according to Ven. Yin Shun. The Chinese terms are: 根本佛教 (Original Buddhism), 原始佛教 (Early Buddhism), 部派佛教 (Sectarian Buddhism). See pp. 1-2, Chapter One, in Ven. Yin Shun, The Formation of Early Buddhist Texts (原始佛教聖典之集成) https://cbetaonline.dila.edu.tw/zh/Y0033 :candle: :reading:
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

i think early school was bad
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Without early Buddhist schools, such as Pali Buddhism, we are simply unable to know about Buddha teachings. One should thank them!
asahi

Post by asahi »

Early schools means sectarianism .
No bashing No gossiping
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Sectarian Buddhism (EBTs) is the key to study Early Buddhism, and to understand Original Buddhism.
Cf. https://www.academia.edu/39352226/The_F (The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism Choong Mun-keat)