what is ceto vimutti exactly? I thought it would be the same as kaya sakkhi (body witness who can do formless samadhi)

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
frank k

what is ceto vimutti exactly? I thought it would be the same as kaya sakkhi (body witness who can do formless samadhi)

Post by frank k »

what is ceto vimutti exactly? I thought it would be the same as kaya sakkhi (body witness who can do formless samadhi), because of the contrast with kaya sakkhi in liberated both ways, released by wisdom, but now I'm not sure.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
frank k

Re: what is ceto vimutti exactly? I thought it would be the same as kaya sakkhi (body witness who can do formless samadh

Post by frank k »

for reference these are all the passages on kaya sakkhi and kayena phusitva

https://lucid24.org/tped/k/kaya/sakkhi/index.html
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
frank k

Re: what is ceto vimutti exactly? I thought it would be the same as kaya sakkhi (body witness who can do formless samadh

Post by frank k »

since the 6th higher knowledge of 6abhinna, arahantship, declaring destruction of asava, I'd have to guess ceto-vimutti at the very least means high quality first jhana, and more likely a competent 3rd or 4th jhana.

But I'm not aware of any explicit explanation anywhere that explains exactly what ceto-vimutti is.
āsavānaṃ khayā
(with) āsavā's destroyed,
an-āsavaṃ
(he remains in) āsavā-{free}
ceto-vimuttiṃ
awareness-release (and)
paññā-vimuttiṃ
discernment-release,
diṭṭheva dhamme sayaṃ
having-seen dhamma himself,
abhiññā sacchikatvā
higher-knowledge {having}-realized,
upasampajja viharatī’’ti.
(he) enters (and) dwells (thus).