should we practice satipatthana gradually ?

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
thomaslaw

Re: should we practice satipatthana gradually ?

Post by thomaslaw »

DooDoot wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:07 am
David ceballos wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:46 pm thanks for your answers, were helpful :anjali: , So how do I practice them? Do I do the "contemplation of the body" today, other day I do the " contemplation of the feelings" ... and so? is there any sutta who talks about it? thanks
practise of contemplation of the body is done until the breath calms sufficiently for pleasant feelings to arise. there is only one practice, namely, watching the breathing
In practice, watching the breathing (of the body) is also the feeling, the mind, and its dhamma, at the present movement. Body and mind (the four aspects of mindfulness) in awareness are closely connected.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

thomaslaw wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:50 am
DooDoot wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:07 am
David ceballos wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:46 pm thanks for your answers, were helpful :anjali: , So how do I practice them? Do I do the "contemplation of the body" today, other day I do the " contemplation of the feelings" ... and so? is there any sutta who talks about it? thanks
practise of contemplation of the body is done until the breath calms sufficiently for pleasant feelings to arise. there is only one practice, namely, watching the breathing
In practice, watching the breathing (of the body) is also the feeling, the mind, and its dhamma, at the present movement. Body and mind (the four aspects of mindfulness) in awareness are closely connected.
Agree.
However, the beginner may observe only the very obvious factors.
In my case feeling (back pain) and the monkey mind or Vitakka and Vicara. (Dhamma?)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

SarathW wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:53 am
DooDoot wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:07 am practise of contemplation of the body is done until the breath calms sufficiently for pleasant feelings to arise. there is only one practice, namely, watching the breathing
Agree.
In my case feeling (back pain) and the monkey mind or Vitakka and Vicara. (Dhamma?)
Dhamma in the practice refers mainly about bodily and mental phenomena (such as the five aggregates or the sense spheres).
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

thomaslaw wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:03 am
SarathW wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:53 am

Agree.
Dhamma in the practice refers mainly about bodily and mental phenomena (such as the five aggregates or the sense spheres).
The way I understand "bodily" means Kayanupassana. (the first limb)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

thomaslaw wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:50 am In practice, watching the breathing (of the body) is also the feeling, the mind, and its dhamma, at the present movement. Body and mind (the four aspects of mindfulness) in awareness are closely connected.
obviously u not experience rapture, which is distinctly different to the breathing
SarathW wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:53 am In my case feeling (back pain) and the monkey mind or Vitakka and Vicara. (Dhamma?)
monkey mind is lack of mindfulness rather than satipatthana
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati