Rāhula

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Ceisiwr

Rāhula

Post by Ceisiwr »

I was just reading this sutra from the EA. It seems in the Mahāsāṃghika Rāhula was viewed as just a monk, rather than the Buddha's son. This is interesting, since the Mahāsāṃghika tended to view the Buddha in more transcendental and less worldly ways. Having sex and becoming a father is quite human, and not quite what you would expect from a cosmic Buddha.
"At this time, after Venerable Rāhula had become an arhat, he arose from his seat, arranged his robes, and went to the place of the Bhagavān. Bowing his head at the feet of the Bhagavān, he then moved to one side. He addressed the Bhagavān, saying, “That which was sought has been attained: the cessation of all outflows.” At that time, the Bhagavān told all the bhikṣus, “Of those who have attained arhatship, there is none equal to Rāhula. In regard to the cessation of outflows, it is the bhikṣu Rāhula who is foremost. In regard to those who maintain the precepts, it is again the bhikṣu Rāhula who is foremost. In this manner, all tathāgatas of the past, those of Anuttarā Samyaksaṁbodhi, also had this bhikṣu Rāhula. Wishing to be called the Son of the Buddha, this bhikṣu Rāhula closely followed the life of the Buddha to the highest Dharma.” At that time, the Bhagavān told all the bhikṣus, “Amongst my śrāvakas, the foremost student in maintaining the precepts is truly the bhikṣu Rāhula.”
https://suttacentral.net/ea17.1/en/pierquet
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
DooDoot

Re: Rāhula

Post by DooDoot »

what gives the impression Rahula was treated as the Buddha's son when in MN 62 Rahula is scolded by the Buddha for thinking about the Buddha in terms of "I", mine, myself"? :shrug:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
asahi

Post by asahi »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:32 pm This is interesting, since the Mahāsāṃghika tended to view the Buddha in more transcendental and less worldly ways. Having sex and becoming a father is quite human, and not quite what you would expect from a cosmic Buddha.
The cosmic Buddha theme appears to be a late insertion .
No bashing No gossiping
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

asahi wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:20 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:32 pm This is interesting, since the Mahāsāṃghika tended to view the Buddha in more transcendental and less worldly ways. Having sex and becoming a father is quite human, and not quite what you would expect from a cosmic Buddha.
The cosmic Buddha theme appears to be a late insertion .
According to them the Buddha always exists as an eternal substance (dravya). What we call the Buddha was merely a projection.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”