best place to live?

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
salayatananirodha

best place to live?

Post by salayatananirodha »

where is the best place to live where you can flourish as a buddhist while holding the suttas as the foundation of your practice
where can you go where you will not be dominated by post-canonical hierarchies and the teachings of disciples and later authors.
is this something you have to do alone, or with a few? do you have to get to the pure land, for dhamma to be learned and recited in common?
where will devas touch and bless the community, who practices rightly and has virtue
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
SarathW

Re: best place to live?

Post by SarathW »

Herein, monks, a monk, having gone to the forest or the root of a tree or to an empty place, sits down with his legs crossed, keeps his body erect and his mindfulness alert. Ever mindful he breathes in, mindful he breathes out. Breathing in a long breath, he knows, "I am breathing in a long breath"; breathing out a long breath, he knows, "I am breathing out a long breath." Breathing in a short breath, he knows, "I am breathing in a short breath"; breathing out a short breath, he knows, "I am breathing out a short breath." "Experiencing the whole (breath) body, I shall breathe in," thus he trains himself. "Experiencing the whole (breath-) body, I shall breathe out," thus he trains himself. "Calming the activity of the (breath-) body, I shall breathe in," thus he trains himself. "Calming the activity of the (breath-) body, I shall breathe out," thus he trains himself.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... el019.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

There is not a single place on planet Earth that wasn't touched by ageing, sickness, death, quarrel, sadness, inequality, crimes, bully, etc.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
frank k

Post by frank k »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:27 pm where is the best place to live where you can flourish as a buddhist while holding the suttas as the foundation of your practice
where can you go where you will not be dominated by post-canonical hierarchies and the teachings of disciples and later authors.
is this something you have to do alone, or with a few? do you have to get to the pure land, for dhamma to be learned and recited in common?
where will devas touch and bless the community, who practices rightly and has virtue
Buddha's answer to part of that question, MN 17
https://lucid24.org/mn/mn017/index.html

Perhaps just try to develop and maintain contact with yogis that meet your criteria and regularly zoom once or twice a week.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
frank k

Post by frank k »

Italy is famous for having many homes for sale for 1$.
https://www.google.com/search?q=italy+h ... e&ie=UTF-8

The actual cost and obligation, you probably have to spend a few thousand euros/dollars to refurbish the home in a way to retain the general flavor of it's original design within 2 or 3 years.

But still, a bargain.

I always wonder who those yogis who live relatively near italy don't get together and build a meditation community in a nice rural italian area.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:27 pm where is the best place to live ...
Concentrated, letting go...
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

1st jhana onwards ... or attain arhantship ..best place to live is Australia or Ireland if u are layman as those people live in relaxation I think. USA people are running around and living busy lifestyle.

if u are monk, india or Thailand will do
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

The best place to live is to live in the four stations of mindfulness (cattaro satipatthana). Cf. SN 47.2 (= SA 622) :buddha1:
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Where ever you go, there you are. :popcorn: