Where to find a monastery that does not bow to statues?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Pondera

Re: Where to find a monastery that does not bow to statues?

Post by Pondera »

Lost1984 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:41 am I was just curious.

Buddha never said to bow to statues.

Bible says something like, "Sorrow/Pity to those who bow to idols which cannot speak and cannot hear and do nothing for you in return. The lord is in his temple."

:meditate:
Somewhere in the temple. Maybe the holy of holiest places where only Levites can enter. So, bow to the temple. The temple becomes your idol.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
asahi

Post by asahi »

Do buddhists consider Buddha himself as idol or an image ? His disciples bowed to him while he was alive but it isnt an idol adoration . It is more of a respect and gratitude but probably it can turn into admiration or adoration .
No bashing No gossiping
Mudita1

Post by Mudita1 »

First, during Buddha time there was no Buddha statue. Also, after Buddha passed away, no Buddha statue. Until much later years (few hundred years later), statue started. So, to pay respect to Buddha is for appreciating his teaching to us, and to me a gratitude towards him, for his teaching, for his knowledge, for his capability to demonstrate an enlightenment path to me. Hence, bow to Buddha statue has little meaning if the person do not feel so he/her need to bow. In my opinion, there is no monastery should stop you because you do not bow to Buddha statue. To answer to your question, there IS a Thai lineage monastery that has NO Buddha statue, it was established for over 20 years, I was practicing there few times a years lately. Because there is no Buddha statue, you do not need to bow to the statue.
ChrisitanDhamma

Post by ChrisitanDhamma »

Hello,

see there:

https://vbgnet.org/vihara-buddha-gotama/
"The Vihara is one of the few monasteries without any statues, in line with our principle to follow the original teachings of the Buddha".
Greetings
Christian
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:15 am
One is Wat Suan Mokkh of the late Ajahn Buddhadāsa, where they bow to a giant boulder instead. (Or at least they used to in the 1980's; I don't know what their current practice is).
I was there 12 years ago +- and they bowed to any direction, to the forest maybe. Interesting also is the closer little town of Chaiya, which maybe can be the only little town inThailand where is hard to find Buddha statues inside commerces.

Suan Mokkh is very good for a first serious experience of retreat. Place is nice, teaching is good and desserts too.
Ven Ajahn Po was the abbot at that time helping in interviews. He was wise. :anjali: