Buddhist Monks on the Frontline as COVID-19 Surges in Thailand

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Buddhist monks are joining essential workers on the frontline of Thailand’s COVID-19 response as the Southeast Asian kingdom struggles under the weight of a rapidly escalating third wave of infections. Monastics around the country can be seen clad in personal protective equipment (PPE) to deliver oxygen cylinders, administer COVID tests, and even transport the dead to crematoriums.

Thailand has been engulfed by a third wave of SARS-CoV-2 infections that first emerged on 1 April, traced to a cluster at a high-end Bangkok nightlife district frequented by the politically connected. The outbreak has since resulted in 643,522 COVID-19 patients, according to the official count, of whom 428,380 have recovered. Earlier today, the authorities reported a record high of 188 COVID-19-related deaths and 20,200 new cases over the previous 24 hours as the highly contagious Delta variant continues to spread nationwide.

“There are a lot of Thais who are still ignored by the public health system,” said 33-year-old Phra Mahapromphong, deputy abbot of Wat Suthi Wararam, a riverside Buddhist monastery in southwest Bangkok. Since 21 July, the monk has been visiting the Thai capital’s poorer neighborhoods, bringing oxygen, food, and medical supplies to the needy, and collecting test samples. “We take care of everyone we come across,” he added. (Bangkok Post)

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/buddh ... n-thailand

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
annada

Re: Buddhist Monks on the Frontline as COVID-19 Surges in Thailand

Post by annada »

If it is true than it is really a pity that monks let to make themselves into puppets.
Lucas Oliveira wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:51 pm Buddhist monks are joining essential workers on the frontline of Thailand’s COVID-19 response as the Southeast Asian kingdom struggles under the weight of a rapidly escalating third wave of infections. Monastics around the country can be seen clad in personal protective equipment (PPE) to deliver oxygen cylinders, administer COVID tests, and even transport the dead to crematoriums.

I am quite sure it is against the rules laid down by the Buddha. And if they do so really, I hope it is not true, than I think it is against the rules of right livelihood. E.g. monks should not engage in medical practices toward lay persons (except e.g. if they are your blood relatives) and they should not deliver things whether it is a mask or anything else, in my opinion it is wrong livelihood:

“He abstains from running messages… from buying & selling… from dealing with false scales, false metals, & false measures… from bribery, deception, & fraud."

“Whereas some contemplatives & brahmans, living off food given in faith, remain addicted to running messages & errands for people such as these—kings, ministers of state, noble warriors, brahmans, householders, or youths (who say), ‘Go here, go there, take this there, fetch that here’—he abstains from running messages & errands for people such as these. This, too, is part of his virtue."

“Whereas some contemplatives & brahmans, living off food given in faith, maintain themselves by wrong livelihood, by such “animal” arts as:
demonology;
reciting spells in earth houses [see earth skills, above];
Administering emetics, purges, purges from above, purges from below, head-purges; ear-oil, eye-drops, treatments through the nose, ointments, and counter-ointments; practicing eye-surgery (or: extractive surgery), general surgery, pediatrics; administering root-medicines and binding medicinal herbs—he abstains from wrong livelihood, from lowly arts such as these. This, too, is part of his virtue.”
DN 2
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Thailand had a very strict mask wearing program, which obviously failed, probably because masks don't work very well.

India had a high spike in deaths and it ended quickly. Simply look at the data on the internet.

The media just changes from one country to another broadcasting the parabolic spikes but not the sudden declines.

Swedish WHO expert said this early last year, that each country will have a spike in deaths as Covid goes around the world.

Now it is Thailand's turn for Covid to burn up the "dry tinder" of old & sick people who are susceptible.

It is impermanent.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I am quite sure it is against the rules laid down by the Buddha. And if they do so really, I hope it is not true, than I think it is against the rules of right livelihood.
It appears you have misunderstood what right livelihood means.
Monks are not doing this to make a living or to get their food.
This is the expression of Brahama Vihara.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mr Albatross

Post by Mr Albatross »

cfekete wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:03 pm I am quite sure it is against the rules laid down by the Buddha. And if they do so really, I hope it is not true, than I think it is against the rules of right livelihood. E.g. monks should not engage in medical practices toward lay persons (except e.g. if they are your blood relatives) and they should not deliver things whether it is a mask or anything else, in my opinion it is wrong livelihood:
It's only wrong livelihood if they're doing it for their livelihood, which I doubt is the case.

Also, according to Ajahn Brahmavamso the Buddha's permission for medically trained monks to treat people, extends normally only to sangha and blood relatives, but in emergency situations they can treat anybody.
annada

Post by annada »

Mr Albatross wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:53 am
cfekete wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:03 pm I am quite sure it is against the rules laid down by the Buddha. And if they do so really, I hope it is not true, than I think it is against the rules of right livelihood. E.g. monks should not engage in medical practices toward lay persons (except e.g. if they are your blood relatives) and they should not deliver things whether it is a mask or anything else, in my opinion it is wrong livelihood:
It's only wrong livelihood if they're doing it for their livelihood, which I doubt is the case.

Also, according to Ajahn Brahmavamso the Buddha's permission for medically trained monks to treat people, extends normally only to sangha and blood relatives, but in emergency situations they can treat anybody.
Maybe I misunderstood these rules. But if this is the case, as you suggest, and only not allowed to do these things if you do it "for your livelihood", I guess you mean to "earn" your food if you are a monk. Do you suggest that you can e.g. do, as a monk, demonology; reciting spells ...; running messages for the state and for house holders; buying & selling; dealing with false scales, false metals, & false measures… . And the only requirement is that you do not get any "reward" for it?
Mr Albatross

Post by Mr Albatross »

cfekete wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:21 pm
Maybe I misunderstood these rules. But if this is the case, as you suggest, and only not allowed to do these things if you do it "for your livelihood", I guess you mean to "earn" your food if you are a monk. Do you suggest that you can e.g. do, as a monk, demonology; reciting spells ...; running messages for the state and for house holders; buying & selling; dealing with false scales, false metals, & false measures… . And the only requirement is that you do not get any "reward" for it?
No. Medicine is a special case. The other low arts can neither be studied nor practiced by a monk. Medicine, on the other hand, can't be studied by a monk, but it can be practiced (with certain limitations) if a monk happens to have studied it before he got ordained.