Alms round in non-Buddhist countries

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
ddeck

Alms round in non-Buddhist countries

Post by ddeck »

I’ve always been curious as to how going for alms works for monks in non-Buddhist countries. In thinking about monks going on tudong in places like Australia, the UK, and the US, I am curious as to how they get even a little bit of food. As I understand it, monks can’t speak during alms round, and even so can’t ask people directly for food unless they are family or have explicitly offered their support. Unless I have misrepresented the vinaya rules, this seems to be rather difficult. That being said, when the Buddha first established the sangha, India wasn’t a Buddhist country, so there must be some protocol in place for this! Thank you!
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Re: Alms round in non-Buddhist countries

Post by Bhikkhu_Jayasara »

its all about consistency. Some of the Ajahn Chah lineage monasteries and the hermitage up in Washington state have over the years developed certain routes for going on alms round.

other monasteries may have a once a week or every once in a while where they go into town and often a thai or other asian restaurant will provide most of the food. Some places the monastics go to a weekly farmers market.

I attempted a four day carika/tudong in NJ in a place with basically no Buddhists(the county i grew up in) and I did not really expect most people to know what I was doing, it was more to have the image of a wandering monk be in their minds and to meet and speak with people. Turned out due to extreme weather and no food I basically lasted only two days and covered 30 miles. I met one young man who knew what I was and he provided the only meal I had, which by that point was amazing but too late for me health wise to continue on.

Tahn Pamutto did three years tudong in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, its about consistently over time being in places the same people see you, get to know you, and then you start getting supported.

in terms of the Buddhas time, India then and today, has a culture of supporting samanas/sadhus of any sect, so it was already an established part of the culture then, very different from the west.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra -http://www.youtube.com/studentofthepath and https://maggasekha.org/
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I did it in Australia and New Zealand when I was a monk. It was easy, far too much food was offered! We simply walked to the center of the town, and stood silently.
We had to decline $$ occasionally, and people thought that was cool and good. It showed we weren't greedy beggars.

About half the food came from westerners, and half from Thai/Vietnamese/Cambodian/Burmese people. The Asian people were so happy to see monks on alms-round, and begged us to come every day to them, but we had to go to different streets every day because it's good to mix things up, and give everyone a chance to make merit.
I hear it's easy in the UK too, but I don't know about other countries.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

There's a problem with fake monks in Toronto. They ask for money and, when they see a $20 in your wallet as you give them a fiver, they ask for the 20 instead. They come from some kind of Amitābha cult of some sort. If you give them money, they give you an allegedly-blessed Amitābha bookmark. I used to get conned into this when I moved to Toronto for university as a teen.

So monks might have a hard time in Toronto because of that.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
48vows

Post by 48vows »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:51 pm They come from some kind of Amitābha cult of some sort. I
no they don't.

they are just scammers with an expired visa
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Well, they give out the same bookmarks, the two I've encountered. Perhaps they don't come from some kind of organization.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
48vows

Post by 48vows »

Oh yea, they are part of the same network but they are not an amitabha cult
ddeck

Post by ddeck »

Bhikkhu_Jayasara wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:50 pm I attempted a four day carika/tudong in NJ in a place with basically no Buddhists(the county i grew up in)
JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:41 pm I did it in Australia and New Zealand when I was a monk.
Thank you so much for your responses. Was my assumption true about not being able to speak on alms round, or would it be permissible to explain what you are doing if asked, and thank those giving food who may be unfamiliar with the custom of silence when recieving?
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

ddeck wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:00 pm . Was my assumption true about not being able to speak on alms round, or would it be permissible to explain what you are doing if asked,

Monks are free to explain if asked, but they can't ask for food directly. So it's ok to answer a question with "We are Buddhist monks waiting for people to put food in our bowls."
But not "Can I have some food please."
and thank those giving food who may be unfamiliar with the custom of silence when recieving?
Some westerners obviously expected some reply or response after giving food, so I would give them a little blessing, like "May you be well and happy."
To the Asians we would give a full anumodana chant.