Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SarathW

Re: Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa?

Post by SarathW »

mikenz66 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:45 pm
StormBorn wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:56 am
SarathW wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:11 pm Recently I was listening to Ven. Dhamma Subadda from Mithirigala Forest monastery.
He participates in the discussion relating to Late Most Ven. Katukurunde Nyanananda Maha Thero's Nibbana sermon.
He appears to be a knowledgeable monk.
There is no any material on the internet in the English language.

https://damsara.org/dhamma-talks-in-sin ... a-sermons/
Ñāṇananda’s Concept and Reality: An Assessment by Stephen Evans

Note: Late Ven. Katukurunde Ñāṇananda (Concept and Reality) and Kiribathgoda Ñāṇānanda (Mahamewnawa) are two different monks.
See also the critique of this article, which was discussed this year in Ven Analayo's course on the Nibbana Sermons:
Dhammadinnā, Bhikkhunī 2017: “Bhikkhu Ñāṇananda’s Concept and Reality: A Reply to Stephen Evans”, Buddhist Studies Review, 34.2: 151–180.

:heart:
Mike
Thanks Mike
What is the link?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SarathW wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm
mikenz66 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:45 pm
StormBorn wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:56 am

Ñāṇananda’s Concept and Reality: An Assessment by Stephen Evans

Note: Late Ven. Katukurunde Ñāṇananda (Concept and Reality) and Kiribathgoda Ñāṇānanda (Mahamewnawa) are two different monks.
See also the critique of this article, which was discussed this year in Ven Analayo's course on the Nibbana Sermons:
Dhammadinnā, Bhikkhunī 2017: “Bhikkhu Ñāṇananda’s Concept and Reality: A Reply to Stephen Evans”, Buddhist Studies Review, 34.2: 151–180.

:heart:
Mike
Thanks Mike
What is the link?
It's in the same journal as the other article. I'm not sure if it's freely available. If you enrolled for Ven Analayo's course earlier this year you can access both articles there.

Mike
Bhante Sudewa Thero

Post by Bhante Sudewa Thero »

I am ordained in Mahamevnawa in Sri Lanka. If there is anything you want to know, please make contact.
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

Bhante Sudewa Thero wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:01 pm I am ordained in Mahamevnawa in Sri Lanka. If there is anything you want to know, please make contact.
How long you have been a monk in Mahamewnawa? Are you a novice (samanera) or a bhikkhu?
Bhante Sudewa Thero

WorldTraveller wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:02 pm
Bhante Sudewa Thero wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:01 pm I am ordained in Mahamevnawa in Sri Lanka. If there is anything you want to know, please make contact.
How long you have been a monk in Mahamewnawa? Are you a novice (samanera) or a bhikkhu?
If you are interested in ordination as the original posting asked about, you are welcome to make contact. Send a message.
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

Bhante Sudewa Thero wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:58 pm
If you are interested in ordination as the original posting asked about, you are welcome to make contact. Send a message.
Oh, by contact you meant PM. Well, the secrecy is one thing that will be off putting regarding an invitation to ordain. Let's say, I see some guy wearing a uniform, standing in public place and advertising "come and join the navy!" Then I will approach and ask him about his rank; how long he has been an naval officer; what's his experience with the navy, etc. And, if the officer replied "Let's go to the washroom of the behind building to discuss that" I will surely move away...
Bhante Sudewa Thero

WorldTraveller wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:04 am
Bhante Sudewa Thero wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:58 pm

Oh, by contact you meant PM. Well, the secrecy is one thing that will be off putting regarding an invitation to ordain. Let's say, I see some guy wearing a uniform, standing in public place and advertising "come and join the navy!" Then I will approach and ask him about his rank; how long he has been an naval officer; what's his experience with the navy, etc. And, if the officer replied "Let's go to the washroom of the behind building to discuss that" I will surely move away...
Dear friend, I strongly think there are some misunderstandings here. This is not an invitation for you or anyone else to ordain. My comment in this thread was an answer to the person that started this all by telling he wondered about ordination in Mahamewnawa. Please remember the name of this thread: "Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa?". Please also remember one normally does not ask a monk personal questions just like that, such as how long have you been a monk,,how much do you meditate, etc. Thank you for your time reading this.
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

Hi bhantè.

The misunderstood is in both side. Please share with everyone information. this forum was created for that.

With metta
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

Bhante Sudewa Thero wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:22 am Dear friend, I strongly think there are some misunderstandings here. This is not an invitation for you or anyone else to ordain. My comment in this thread was an answer to the person that started this all by telling he wondered about ordination in Mahamewnawa. Please remember the name of this thread: "Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa?".
Your new thread, For ordination in Mahamevnawa in Sri Lanka seems to me an invitation too:
Bhante Sudewa Thero wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:18 pm For those of you interested in ordination in Mahamevnawa in Sri Lanka, please visit our English website https://mahamevnawabm.org.
Bhante Sudewa Thero wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:22 am Please also remember one normally does not ask a monk personal questions just like that, such as how long have you been a monk,,how much do you meditate, etc. Thank you for your time reading this.
The question "How long have you been a monk" I have asked many monks, and they very happily answer. Generally, more years means more credibility (but not always). If a monk unable to say how long he's been ordained, then surely an issue.

Regarding "how much do you meditate" I agree, unless you represent yourself as some meditation teacher/guru. However, I didn't ask that.
Bhante Sudewa Thero

WorldTraveller wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:33 am
Bhante Sudewa Thero wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:22 am Dear friend, I strongly think there are some misunderstandings here. This is not an invitation for you or anyone else to ordain. My comment in this thread was an answer to the person that started this all by telling he wondered about ordination in Mahamewnawa. Please remember the name of this thread: "Na Uyana or Mahamevnawa?".
Your new thread, For ordination in Mahamevnawa in Sri Lanka seems to me an invitation too:
Bhante Sudewa Thero wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:18 pm For those of you interested in ordination in Mahamevnawa in Sri Lanka, please visit our English website https://mahamevnawabm.org.
Bhante Sudewa Thero wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:22 am Please also remember one normally does not ask a monk personal questions just like that, such as how long have you been a monk,,how much do you meditate, etc. Thank you for your time reading this.
The question "How long have you been a monk" I have asked many monks, and they very happily answer. Generally, more years means more credibility (but not always). If a monk unable to say how long he's been ordained, then surely an issue.

Regarding "how much do you meditate" I agree, unless you represent yourself as some meditation teacher/guru. However, I didn't ask that.
Yes, people not from a Buddhist culture often ask monks personal questions. That is correct. I think one should learn that it is not necessary questions that should be asked. And from a personal view I wonder why I should answer personal questions that is off topic and asked by someone calling him/herself "WorldTraveller" at an Internet forum. Personal questions asked by persons I know the identity of I would normally answer if OK because I understand the difference beween living in a Buddhist culture and outside one.

Thank you for bringing this up because it says something about the meeting between Asian Buddhism and the West. It also says something about the Internet. These are interesting topics but not part of this thread but could be a topic for a thread of its own. Very good observation. Thank you. And now I leave this discussion.
Suranga

Post by Suranga »

WorldTraveller wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:33 am .

I met many Sri lankan monks. In sri lanka and in PA AUK. When I asked " how long you have been a monk " they also replied .no issue. This is the first time I heared it's a personal question. hmm. interesting
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

StormBorn wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:12 am
fornoxe wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:30 pm I made a bouddha statue of himself. I could not find any word.

That why I 'm thinking to find a western monk in Sri Lanka in fact. 18days left before leaving.

But thanks for links StormBorn. And Sarah obviously :anjali:
Ah, the common mistake: Western monks are better than Asians! A local friend at Immigration Dep. Made a funny remark that they already kicked several Western monks out of the country having caught unmonkish interactions with females/nuns.

Let me share with you one last experience. Last year I visited the Hillside Hermitage in Kandy, Sri Lanka. Locals are very impressed with these “foreign monks” as they come to the village for alms. The monks also tried to impress us with some “deep forest Dhamma” while their pet dogs trying to climb to their bodies. But I was put off by the number of well groomed fat dogs and puppies there, where the kids from their alms round village seems to be suffering from malnutrition! Also, the monks appeared to be into body building. Later, I visited their Facebook page and goodness heavens, I found images of large Amino Acid supplement bottles (to increase muscle mass) along with kettlebells caught on camera while they photo shoot their dogs! That time their photo count was around 4,000, which was about 10+ per day. But I checked now and all the posts before June 2018 were deleted. There seems to be some attempt of a whitewash.

In the May of 2017, the abbot says that "they also receive funding from kind people who follow their activities on Facebook.": https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/weste ... nkan-wilds

There’s no refuge other than the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Ariyas.

Some photos:
I have always felt suspicious about that group of monks....luckily I didn't listen to their talks...
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false