underwear, shoes, trimmer etc

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
confusedlayman

underwear, shoes, trimmer etc

Post by confusedlayman »

Do monks has to buy their underwear, shoe or sandals or trimmer etc on their own? or lay people buy it randomly? what if they got wrong size ?

monks can go in to shopping mall for small shopping? how its allowed?

or monks give list of things they want to abbot and he gives to cheif layman supporter to sort it out and give everything as whole? or how it happens?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
sentinel

Re: underwear, shoes, trimmer etc

Post by sentinel »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 pm
monks can go in to shopping mall for small shopping? how its allowed?
Monks should not go shopping . They should strive for liberation .
You always gain by giving
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 pm Do monks has to buy their underwear
Monks generally go commando
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Mr Man wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 pm Do monks has to buy their underwear
Means?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:01 pm
Mr Man wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 pm
Means?
It's an informal/slang term for wearing no underwear.
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Post by Bhikkhu_Jayasara »

Monastics need four requisites, food, clothing, shelter, and medicine, all of which should be provided(or funds to a steward) by generous laity.

As for underwear, there is no such cloth in the vinaya, except maybe the bathing cloth. There is also the tradition of a second robe that's worn against the skin that is then covered by the antaravasaka(sarong), it's a monastics choice if they wish to wear regular underwear or the under cloth, but there are I'm sure many local rules that vary greatly.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra -http://www.youtube.com/studentofthepath and https://maggasekha.org/
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Bhikkhu_Jayasara wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:03 am Monastics need four requisites, food, clothing, shelter, and medicine, all of which should be provided(or funds to a steward) by generous laity.

As for underwear, there is no such cloth in the vinaya, except maybe the bathing cloth. There is also the tradition of a second robe that's worn against the skin that is then covered by the antaravasaka(sarong), it's a monastics choice if they wish to wear regular underwear or the under cloth, but there are I'm sure many local rules that vary greatly.
Thanks ..
jane477

Post by jane477 »

Monastics need four requisites, food, clothing, shelter, and medicine, all of which should be provided(or funds to a steward) by generous laity.

I always thought monks wear something like sumo fighters do
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

jane477 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:32 pm

:shock:
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Aloka wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:19 am
jane477 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:32 pm

:shock:
Ah yes, the Sumo thong!
MrRuppert

Post by MrRuppert »

Yeah, what a question... What makes you think that monks can't wear clothes that ordinary people wear? They're no different from us. So they have the right to wear the same clothes that we do. My best friend's father is a monk, and in his spare time, he is dressed like an average person when he walks around. He wears adidas yeezy boost 350 like me, matching pants, and it's normal... You should not be surprised that a monk is not dressed in the clothes people see him in the temple. In their free time, they wear whatever they want. Only it's true that some don't prefer regular clothes.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

MrRuppert wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:42 pm You should not be surprised that a monk is not dressed in the clothes people see him in the temple. In their free time, they wear whatever they want. Only it's true that some don't prefer regular clothes.
Which tradition is that? I know in some Mahayana traditions that is true, but have never seen a Theravada monk not wearing his robes, even if outside the temple, at a store or some other place.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

MrRuppert wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:42 pm Yeah, what a question... What makes you think that monks can't wear clothes that ordinary people wear? They're no different from us. So they have the right to wear the same clothes that we do. My best friend's father is a monk, and in his spare time, he is dressed like an average person when he walks around. He wears adidas yeezy boost 350 like me, matching pants, and it's normal... You should not be surprised that a monk is not dressed in the clothes people see him in the temple. In their free time, they wear whatever they want. Only it's true that some don't prefer regular clothes.
I believe it is against Vinaya for a Theravada monks to use other cloths.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”