can people with HIV can ordain as monk?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
confusedlayman

can people with HIV can ordain as monk?

Post by confusedlayman »

even though HIV patients live 8-10 years or more with proper treatment. is it possible for people to ordain?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Re: can people with HIV can ordain as monk?

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:36 am even though HIV patients live 8-10 years or more with proper treatment. is it possible for people to ordain?
They live a bit longer than that now. Today, where medication is available, having HIV is comparable to having diabetes.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

OP, Your statement about lifespan is not accurate (it may have been many years ago).

HIV patients can and do routinely live decades longer as has already been said. I have a friend who has lived for 35 years with HIV. With HAART (retroviral therapy), this is not rare.

As far as ordination, I think this is up to the preceptor/Ajahn to decide. The issue may be medication and the expense of it.
boi_83

Post by boi_83 »

Any one know which temples or contacts where one would be able to ordain as a permanent monk on long term medication.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Nothing in the vinaya saying they can't i dont think. Although each monastery has their own rules, I know some that don't allow you to ordain with HIV.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta