Student Of The Path

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Re: Student Of The Path

Post by Bhikkhu_Jayasara »

wow the hits keep on coming. Bhante G surprised me with the Anagarika Ceremony Today! I'm now Anagarika Jayantha.

Three years ago this month here at Bhavana I took the 8 Lifetime Precepts with Bhante G, now on this auspicious full moon day I've begun the next step on my path towards becoming a monk. I was given the 8 Monastic Precepts during the Anagarika ceremony.

From here on in I wear white clothing/robes for the next 8 months or so, and hopefully if all goes well most likely November 1st will be my novice monk ordination.

Those who know my clothing color preferences(ie black and more black) know it's no small Irony that I'm wearing all white from here on in.. I've gone from Yin to Yang.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra -http://www.youtube.com/studentofthepath and https://maggasekha.org/
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I still can see the black T-shirt. ;)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Anumodanā!

:clap:
Anabhirati kho, āvuso, imasmiṃ dhammavinaye dukkhā, abhirati sukhā.

“To not delight in this dhammavinaya, friend, is painful; to delight in it is bliss.”
(Sukhasutta, AN 10:66)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

By the way Congratulations!
:D
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Congratulations!
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

SarathW wrote:I still can see the black T-shirt. ;)
Lol its actually grey, but yeah i need to do some shopping for white clothing on my day off. Soon it will be warm enough to wear the sarong too! Im tired of pants ;p

Thanks all. Next step is to see if i have what it takes to go forth. I'm 1/4 of the way through the 2 year process to Bhikkhu.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra -http://www.youtube.com/studentofthepath and https://maggasekha.org/
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Latest " A Journey Into Homelessness" video for 6 months/anagarika
BillTheLizard

Post by BillTheLizard »

Quick confession,
Been watching your youtube, tumblr, reddit, and dhamma wheel postings for the last two months.
Ive gleaned a good amount of info from them. I am actually going to join a fledgling forest monastery in april as a lay person, so all the info you put out has done quite a bit to set my mind at ease.
So many thanks for that.

If its beneficial, I wanted to ask you about the 20% you mentioned in your latest video.
Maybe you can describe these negative thought forms and explain what you did to set your mind at ease and affirm you are on the right path.

To be honest I am terrified, I want to do this but.........
Then a million little things arise.
I think it is not so much what will happen to me that I am afraid of, but how I will react to them.
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

BillTheLizard wrote:Quick confession,
Been watching your youtube, tumblr, reddit, and dhamma wheel postings for the last two months.
Ive gleaned a good amount of info from them. I am actually going to join a fledgling forest monastery in april as a lay person, so all the info you put out has done quite a bit to set my mind at ease.
So many thanks for that.

If its beneficial, I wanted to ask you about the 20% you mentioned in your latest video.
Maybe you can describe these negative thought forms and explain what you did to set your mind at ease and affirm you are on the right path.

To be honest I am terrified, I want to do this but.........
Then a million little things arise.
I think it is not so much what will happen to me that I am afraid of, but how I will react to them.

They were lingering negative mind states that have a strong aversion towards renunciation haha. When they were at their worse a few times it actually affected my breathing, you could say i had a mini panic attack.

The biggest issue by far for me is attachment to family, especially my 10 year old nephew whom i helped raise, was a father figure to, and lived with from age 1 till now when i left the monastery. Familial attachment the buddha said is the strongest attachment, but personally i think i find myself more attached to their suffering with me leaving then attachment to not seeing them, etc.things have gotten better and everyone seems to be moving on so its not really an issue much these days, ive also worked hard on accepting and lessening as many attachments as possible in general.

What i kept doing, and still do, is putting that same question to myself, comparing the best of lay life with the life of renunciation. Asking myself if a lay life is worth it/good enough. Now for the last 4 years the answer has always been no, but sometimes the no was stronger, sometimes very weak ahah.

I also make sure i make decisions and ask myself this not in the middle of a strong mind state, but in a calm one, you can't make life changing decisions in the middle of a storm, you can only ride that mind state till its end, observing it and not allowing it to control you.

I think i copied my one post from the jhana retreat last summer at the top of this thread, it really goes into detail more. If not ill link it to you tomorrow, im on my phone currently and its tough to do that.

In the end i can also just ask myself and see what my response is back, i still know that if i did not take this leap of faith i would of regretted it. Even if i dont become a monk, or i do and 7 years after i disrobe, i at least know i gave it my all and can move forward without regret.

I hope that answered your questions, if you want further clarification ill be on tomorrow, time for bed now.
BillTheLizard

Post by BillTheLizard »

You have answered my question, as well as a few others I was pondering.
People have asked me lately if I'm excited for this next adventure, and I am excited, but I'm also scared. There is nothing wrong with being scared and admitting it, what you don't want to do is allow fear to control your life. These two emotions(excitement and fear) create a nice balance, a middle path, that allows me to take this day by day. There is a great quote that goes like this " Do something that scares you every day". This scares me, it scares my ego most of all, who will be going through a big detox program followed by an IOP(love you my former co-workers :P), to cleanse itself of all the impurities and distractions in the mind.

I realized I have been avoiding becoming excited about the upcoming experience. Not because I am not excited but because I tend to get over enthused about things (obsessive really) I am interested in.
I made the decision that if I wanted to be successful in this that I needed to cut off excitement.
The fear I have been experiencing, I am assuming is due to the imbalance created by my aversion to a healthy amount of excitement.

Following this path, its getting harder to take my "self" seriously. :rofl:

Many Thanks,

:focus:
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

I've been Anagarika now for about four months, with four months left to go till ordination most likely. I figured I'd check in and also share an interesting first I had today :). One of many things that will take some getting use to.

jayantha.tumblr.com/post/122127269148/a ... irst-today

An interesting "first" today

I had an interesting “first” today. I spent the day in Washington DC with one of the monastics visiting the local temple and some families. The last family of the day after doing their prostrations in front of the monk, then preceded, mother, father and children, to do the same to me.

This is something I knew I would have to deal with as a monk, did not expect it so soon, not being a monastic yet. My sister,freaked out a bit when our father’s doctor slightly bowed to me while shaking my hand a few weeks back. I heard her say under her breath “ he’s still my brother”, and could only giggle. I can only imagine her reaction when she sees this haha.

We westerners have real hang ups when it comes to bowing and prostrating, we view it as a sort of degrading and groveling kind of thing, where in Asia its a matter of paying respects. I’ve gone from someone who never did it to now someone who does it a dozen times a day or more as the monks do. We also do it to pay respects to the monks as we meet them, and the monks do the same to monks who are senior to them. In short “everybody’s doing it!”

Bhante G explained it’s purpose to me as a practice of developing humility, a humble mind, and showing respects to the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha, as our guides and refuge in the practice. For me this extends to Bhante G, whom I gladly pay respects to when he leaves to go away for a time, and then when he returns as a “welcome back”. I saw one of my favorite monks today and it brings a gladness to my heart and a smile on my face to show my respects to him.

When we bow to the monks we are not bowing to the individual person, it’s not a practice in inflating someone’s head that they are important, but it’s a matter of respecting the ideals of the monkhood and the virtuous life that they hopefully lead. In fact when you bow to the monks they say “ sukhi hotu” (may you be happy), and so when the family bowed to me, after quickly regaining my composure this is what I did, wishing them may they be happy, and thanking them for their hospitality.

This event brought up to me the fact that as it’s said in the old discourses, monks are “debters”, ie we live totally Dependant on others for food, shelter, clothing, and medicine. How we pay off that debt is by meditating and learning so that we can then help others, teach them dhamma, meditation etc.

Sometimes as I get closer to my ordination I feel like I’m not even worthy to be a monk, then I feel that I can really give it a good go and work my best to be a good example for others. When I do become one I must take my “debt” seriously and make sure I am doing my best to repay the generosity given to me by living a virtuous life, practicing diligently and learning studiously. The last thing I want to do is squander this amazing generosity, and the respect given to me, I don’t think I could live with myself or even call myself a monk then.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu
:bow:

When I prostration to a monk, I do it to a particular monk thinking:

-This monk is observing ten precepts and Vinaya.
- He has the potential to become an Arahant
- He is well conversant with Dhamma
- He protects Dhamma and he teaches it to others.
- So he is worthy of veneration
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

What a beautiful story. Thanks for that and for your practice! :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

It is inspiring to read your posts. Thank you! :anjali:
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
samseva

Post by samseva »

I was reading your blog and found a post about "Two items vital to living in a forest monastery mostly off the grid", with the picture below.

Most people are not aware of this, but batteries sent off to landfills (rather than being recycled at designated battery recycling centers), are very damaging to the environment. According to one of my teachers, a single battery pollutes a m³ of soil. Even worse, the chemicals leach into the ground and then into groundwater, which people drink.

A good alternative to your Duracell flashlight and arsenal of disposable batteries :tongue: would be a rechargeable LED flashlight. I've been looking around on the Internet for about an hour at different models and found one of really good quality, at a decent price.

If you purchase directly from the company, you get a 25% discount (25% of the total purchase, even if you buy for $500 worth of flashlights), plus a lifetime guarantee (which doesn't apply if you buy from other stores). It is also water-resistant.

Here is the flashlight:
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/u ... lashlight/

Here is a video review of the Fenix UC35 (almost exactly the same thing as the UC30). Near the end (5:25), the person compares it to a Maglite. The Fenix is a lot better.

A 24-count AA Coppertop battery pack costs $14 or more. This means that the 40-count of AA batteries costs around $23. After about two packs of these, the rechargeable flashlight has almost been paid off. In the long run, it is a lot less expensive and much better for the environment.

This might be something worth talking about to Bhante Gunaratana.

:anjali: