Ajahn Brahm on why he was excommunicated

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: Ajahn Brahm on why he was excommunicated

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

SarathW wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:38 pm It seems, this was a major road block to attain Arahantship.
I hope now we all can speed up the path without adding another division.
:shrug:

This whole thing is disturbing me. :(
I watched a video, that Ajahn Brahm said that he is not a Thervadist or Mhayanist!

What is Schism?

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 9831&hilit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that is the case that the Venerable said manfully: "he is not a Thervadist or Mhayanist," I have much more respects to him than to those schismatic trojans staying under the name of Theravada and trying to attack & distort Theravada itself.

btw, what is the meaning of "another division" found in the quote above? Is the division real or not? I think he was formally divided from Ajahn Chah Forest Sangha lineage, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajahn_Brahm.

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

If that is the case that the Venerable said manfully: "he is not a Thervadist or Mhayanist," I have much more respects to him than to those schismatic trojans staying under the name of Theravada and trying to attack & distort Theravada itself.
That is what he says, but he pretends to like a Theravada for the outside world. Many Sri Lankans thinks he is Teravada.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

SarathW wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:43 am
That is what he says, but he pretends to like a Theravada for the outside world. Many Sri Lankans thinks he is Teravada.

Even wikipedia thinks he is still a Theravada Buddhist monk, let alone Sri Lankans :jumping:
  • Ajahn Brahm (born Peter Betts[1] on 7 August 1951), is a British-Australian Theravada Buddhist monk.
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

soapy3 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:49 pm The resistance over bhikkhuni ordination is interesting and far from over. Accepting impermanence is a core concept of Buddhism, yet the most Theravada countries in the world have cultures the most resistant to change.
Resistance or not, you can't do things your way without agreement from everyone if you want to be legitimate.
Allowing lay women or novices who keep 10 precepts is fine and enough.
If you want to create another Bhikkhuni Sangha, that really has to be a consensus from everyone.
I have noticed in places like Australia they kowtow to local customs in everything where a monk still has to be 'a good bloke' liberal values comes with this and of course, being excommunicated (if he really has been) to fight for 'women rights' is the done thing.

Anyway they are in the middle of a big and independent country regardless and everything is via internet now so it doesn't make much difference it would seem.
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I think Ajahn Brahm is great. I love his sense of humour.
Some of his colleagues are a bit too "serious" for my taste.
Buddha save me from new-agers!