Tourist Visa and Sri Lanka ordination

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
viriya424

Tourist Visa and Sri Lanka ordination

Post by viriya424 »

Greetings everyone,

Next week I will be travelling to Sri Lanka with the purpose of ordaining. My original plan was to arrive with an Entry Visa so I could turn that into a residence visa—the proper way.

However, it seems when I sent my application 2 months ago the monastery office didn't understand I needed them to get the paperwork for this visa (no Sri Lanka embassy in my country).
So they started the process only some 3 weeks ago and now it won't be ready on time for my arrival.

What I'd like to know is if I could arrive with a tourist visa and eventually get the proper residence visa.

Would I have to leave the country and come back? If so, for how long? I would assume I could come back in with that approval letter they're getting and use that to get the right visa after re-entry.

Sorry if the question is too specific, but I'd appreciate any comments of people who've had similar experiences.

Thanks.
rhinoceroshorn

Re: Tourist Visa and Sri Lanka ordination

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Hello friend. Instead of talking by PM, let's post here. It may help others.
I'm waiting for your return.
Without resistance in all four directions,
content with whatever you get,
enduring troubles with no dismay,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
But if they hit you with a stick...?"
"...I will think, 'These people are very civilized, in that they don't hit me with a knife.'..."
"But if they hit you with a knife...?"
"...I will think, 'These people are very civilized, in that they don't take my life with a sharp knife.'..."
SN35.88
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

unseeingdog wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:00 pm Greetings everyone,

Next week I will be travelling to Sri Lanka with the purpose of ordaining. My original plan was to arrive with an Entry Visa so I could turn that into a residence visa—the proper way.

However, it seems when I sent my application 2 months ago the monastery office didn't understand I needed them to get the paperwork for this visa (no Sri Lanka embassy in my country).
It seems this monastery does this to everyone, lol. They did the same to me. I clearly said I needed an entry visa. :ugeek:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
"...I will think, 'These people are very civilized, in that they don't hit me with a knife.'..."
"...I will think, 'These people are very civilized, in that they don't take my life with a sharp knife.'..."
SN35.88
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Sri Lanka is going to open its borders in August.
Hope they don't do anything with visas, if not I'm doomed
:lol:

wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
SN35.88
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

When you return, please clarify those things for me:
- is there electricity in the monastery?
- are there many foreigners? I read in a pdf by a monk whose name I don't remember that at the time there were, but I don't know the current state of things there
- about visa, again... Please tell me the informations you know about them. Will you need to leave the country or is there a breach in the law that allows someone with tourist visa to get an entry visa?
- is learning Sinhala any necessary? That question has to do with the other one about foreigners. More foreigners = more English speakers, I suppose. :P
- I know this monastery has a great focus on Samatha, which is a wonderful thing. How many hours do you meditate a day? Is there a standard schedule?
- about studies: do you have time and opportunity to study the scriptures? This question has to do with the first one about electricity. I only own digital books, so it would be nice if there is electricity.
- I read there is a library. Tell me about it.

I saw your last access was on June 5. Restraint or limited internet access?

Thanks. :thanks:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
SN35.88
axelsnaxel

Post by axelsnaxel »

I am also planning to go to Sri Lanka when the country opens up in order to ordain.
When i get there i will search around for a suitable monastery, I've already made a map of potential places based upon this guide:
https://www.bps.lk/olib/mi/mi008.pdf

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

When it comes to getting a residence visa, you need to first find a monastery you want to stay, and for that it is best to travel round as a tourist. Then you need to apply with the help of your monastery for a entry visa, at which point you must exit the country and wait 2-3 months for that to process. Then you can renter Sri Lanka and apply for a residence visa. It is advisable to find a monastery familiar with the process since there's a lot of documents that need to be sorted out.

Sinhala is helpful to learn, since most monks don't speak it, although they can understand some. But there will almost always be English speakers, so you can get around with it without a problem. It is when it comes to Dhamma that it becomes a problem, since they can't explain the depth of Dhamma in English.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It is not the best time to travel overseas.
Better to practice at home.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

axelsnaxel wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:46 am I am also planning to go to Sri Lanka when the country opens up in order to ordain.
When i get there i will search around for a suitable monastery, I've already made a map of potential places based upon this guide:
https://www.bps.lk/olib/mi/mi008.pdf

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

When it comes to getting a residence visa, you need to first find a monastery you want to stay, and for that it is best to travel round as a tourist. Then you need to apply with the help of your monastery for a entry visa, at which point you must exit the country and wait 2-3 months for that to process. Then you can renter Sri Lanka and apply for a residence visa. It is advisable to find a monastery familiar with the process since there's a lot of documents that need to be sorted out.

Sinhala is helpful to learn, since most monks don't speak it, although they can understand some. But there will almost always be English speakers, so you can get around with it without a problem. It is when it comes to Dhamma that it becomes a problem, since they can't explain the depth of Dhamma in English.
Hello friend. Thanks.
The monastery which the OP is talking about is the same as mine. They apparently do the process of getting the entry visa before you go abroad, so you don't need to exit the country.
It's the only monastery I know that does it, and it is so helpful that I'm not even considering others. Their site is in English and they respond your emails, which is also rare.

The process you described demands much money and seems tiresome. Think about the airplane tickets, the bus fee and everything else. I don't even consider this as an option. :shrug:

I'm awaiting for his answer because he is there for months so he knows practically how things work, particularly in the monastery.

Good luck in your journey.
With metta. :hug:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
SN35.88
SDC

Post by SDC »

unseeingdog wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:00 am Hello,

I am sorry for my late reply.

1. Yes, in every kuti. The place is not at all lacking in facilities.
2. Yes. Westerners there are about 15 to 20. However they are spread about over the different sections. There are also many Indians and Chinese, totalling about 30 foreigners.
3. It is ideal to come with an entry visa. If you come with a tourist visa you will have to go to a nearby country like India, do some paperwork for a few days and come back. Being exempted from this is probably even harder now than before.
4. I would not recommend learning Sinhala in this monastery if you want to be left alone and minimize unnecessary conversation with others. English is spoken more than sufficiently for everyday needs.
5. There is a "focus on Samatha" because officially the Pa Auk method is followed. However, you will be disappointed if you expect that to mean that most monks actually practice intensely. But if you want to do so, certainly you will have ample opportunity.

Normally there is no schedule, but recently they have implemented monthly 10-day retreats, where the schedule is from 4 a.m. to 9 p.m., with breaks for meals, duties, etc. You will be expected to come to group sittings if you're a monk, especially a newer one.
6. You do get time for study. Outside of the retreat periods you could do it all day if you please. I do so quite a lot using my Kindle and phone.
7. The library is very large and varied, including books that don't necessarily accord with the system taught here. There is everything from Tipitaka to modern Yoga and alternative medicine.

About internet access: if you ordain you will be asked to give in your phone, but if you use it for study you can ask permission to keep it without internet access, i.e. by turning in your SIM card only. As of now, you can use your phone/SIM card only on Uposatha days; that's every 2 weeks.

I should also add that if you don't fully agree with the views officially endorsed here (Pa Auk, Abhidhamma/commentaries, Sinhalese Buddhist tradition) you should better keep that to yourself. There is a recent trend toward trying to make sure everyone conforms to these.

Due to this, I know some foreign monks are considering to leave after their higher ordination. The higher ordination and the training you receive in preparation for it is probably the most attractive feature of this monastery, as the Galduwa tradition is highly regarded in Sri Lanka, which opens doors in your monk life.

Regards
Good to hear from you, UD. Thank you for this informative post. If you don't mind, I'm going to merge the original into the "Visa" thread started by Venerable "BKh". That thread is "sticky" so it will remain at the top of the page.

When is appropriate to address you as "Bhante"?
viriya424

Post by viriya424 »

SDC wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:07 pm
Good to hear from you, UD. Thank you for this informative post. If you don't mind, I'm going to merge the original into the "Visa" thread started by Venerable "BKh". That thread is "sticky" so it will remain at the top of the page.
Sure, please do.
SDC wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:07 pm When is appropriate to address you as "Bhante"?
I guess that's up to you, but I am a monk now if that is what you're asking :tongue:
dhammatigger

Post by dhammatigger »

Sorry if the information is there but I didn't see it.
Which monastery is this?
I am also looking to ordain in Sri Lanka in the near future.
Metta
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

unseeingdog wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:10 am
Sure, please do.
SDC wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:07 pm When is appropriate to address you as "Bhante"?
I guess that's up to you, but I am a monk now if that is what you're asking :tongue:
You have ordained as a bhikkhu or a novice?
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

unseeingdog wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:10 am
Sure, please do.
Thank you my friend. Sadhu, sadhu, sadhu!!! :anjali: :heart:
Last edited by rhinoceroshorn on Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
SN35.88
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

dhammatigger wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:56 am Sorry if the information is there but I didn't see it.
Which monastery is this?
I am also looking to ordain in Sri Lanka in the near future.
Metta
It's Na Uyana.
I had asked the moderation to hide the name in my second post but I now think this was unnecessary... :console:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
SN35.88