Monks/nuns and the Internet

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Dorian

Monks/nuns and the Internet

Post by Dorian »

I've noticed that in West there are lots of monks and nuns using Facebook, Instagram and other social media (including DW, of course). What is the general opinion on bhikkhu(ni) surfing the Net? Are there any restrictions? Is it wholesome, doesn't it break precepts? (What about the precept about entertainment, which is held even by anagarikas?)
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Monks/nuns and the Internet

Post by Sam Vara »

It depends what they are doing on the internet. I would have thought that propagating the Dhamma is fine, along with neutral activities like arranging travel and communicating with family, etc. Just surfing the web is not. That's entertainment.

There are always distractions on the web, so the monasteries I have known tend to restrict junior monks and allow more freedom to those with the experience and self-control.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The question is whether Buddha would use internet and social media if it was available in his time.
My guess was he will not.
He had supernormal powers but he used them sparingly.
Most of the time he was just a humble mendicant living among disadvantaged.
Buddha did not favor supernormal powers.
The Internet is a very unreliable method to propagate true Dhamma.
Just imagine Bhante Sujato or David pull the plug from their website overnight.
Even if they do not do it some predecessors may do it one day.
Another problem is propagating Adhamma on the net.

It is ok to get knowledge not to attain Nibbana.
Having said that I wanted knowledge so I spent almost seven years 7 days 24 hours in the net reading materials.
I do not regret it.
I thank the monks and nuns who supply this information on the net.
The best way to propagate Dhamma is by word of mouth on one as they have done for thousands of years.
However, it is up to individual monks to take their method of Dhamma propagation.

Perhaps monks are breaking some minor Vinaya rules but it is just another tool in my opinion.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dorian wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:37 am I've noticed that in West there are lots of monks and nuns using Facebook, Instagram and other social media (including DW, of course). What is the general opinion on bhikkhu(ni) surfing the Net? Are there any restrictions? Is it wholesome, doesn't it break precepts? (What about the precept about entertainment, which is held even by anagarikas?)

If they are answering Q&As on the Dhamma (or Pali) or posting their teachings on the Dhamma then what is the difference between that and physically going to see a monk or nun for a Dhamma talk? As Sam said, it depends what they are doing on the internet.

I actually think it’s a good thing that monks and nuns use the internet, as it allows them to reach lay followers who might be many miles away from a monastery.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Dorian wrote:What is the general opinion on bhikkhu(ni) surfing the Net? Are there any restrictions? Is it wholesome, doesn't it break precepts?
Notice "where" and "when" they're doing on the internet are just as important as "what" they're doing on the internet. For if they access the internet at an inappropriate "where" and "when", the "what" will become questionable. So, it depends on how, what, where, and when they are doing it.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Dorian wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:37 am I've noticed that in West there are lots of monks and nuns using Facebook, Instagram and other social media
There's a common myth in the West, that monks and nuns should stay away from technology invented after the Buddha.
People criticise monks for using phones, computers, etc, but they're just tools.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:58 pm
Dorian wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:37 am I've noticed that in West there are lots of monks and nuns using Facebook, Instagram and other social media
There's a common myth in the West, that monks and nuns should stay away from technology invented after the Buddha.
People criticise monks for using phones, computers, etc, but they're just tools.

With mobile phones it might be better if they weren’t smart phones
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

I've met hundreds of monks in Asia. I don't know that I've come across any without smart phones.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Chanh Dao wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:50 am I've met hundreds of monks in Asia. I don't know that I've come across any without smart phones.
Well, don't be surprised that 100 years from now, there'll be another monk who will say:
I've met thousands of monks all over the world. I don't know that I've come across any who has not engaged in orgies.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

santa100 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:12 pm
Chanh Dao wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:50 am I've met hundreds of monks in Asia. I don't know that I've come across any without smart phones.
Well, don't be surprised that 100 years from now, there'll be another monk who will say:
I've met thousands of monks all over the world. I don't know that I've come across any who has not engaged in orgies.
:rofl:

Is this prediction based on your close observation of monastics?

:heart:
Mike
santa100

Post by santa100 »

mikenz66 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:20 pm
santa100 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:12 pm
:rofl:

Is this prediction based on your close observation of monastics?

Mike
No, simply trying to make a point to Chanh Dao about how pointless it is to appeal to ad populum. However, this is not completely basesless as you already knew about the Buddha's prediction in the "Drum Pegs" and the "Yellow-neck" monks suttas. One just can't rule out this scenario!
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

Sorry I'm not trying to be controversial here. Just talking about the Monastic communities that I've spent time in.

Laos, Thailand, Myanmar, Sri Lankan monastic communities.. even Pa Auk... Even in some of the most rural places imaginable the monastics there were using smartphones common place.

Same with even the young novices if they could get one donated or afford it.

I may(not completely sure) of met a monk or two who didn't actually own a smartphone if that's any consolation santa.

Also my opinion is that modern technology is as much of a tool as something like air conditioning or the Microwave.

I personally don't have an issue with fellow monastics using smartphones but I wouldn't encourage use with novices or in retreat.

Just my opinion.

~Deep bow to all involved~
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Chanh Dao wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:01 am I may(not completely sure) of met a monk or two who didn't actually own a smartphone if that's any consolation santa.
As I recall, Bhikkhu Dhammanando didn't have a particularly smart phone when I spent a week with him a few years ago. However, in more recent times he may have succumbed to such luxuries... :tongue:

More seriously, having a laptop meant that he could easily carry the Tipitaka, and various other documents, around with him...

Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SarathW wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:08 am I thank the monks and nuns who supply this information on the net.
The best way to propagate Dhamma is by word of mouth on one as they have done for thousands of years.
However, it is up to individual monks to take their method of Dhamma propagation.
The way I see it, the Buddha had bhikkhus go off in all directions to proclaim the Dhamma and cyberspace is merely another direction.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
MettaDevPrac

Post by MettaDevPrac »

Paul said it well. I'm grateful for the abundance of video & podcast Dhamma talks available to us at this time.

But I've made a personal choice to abandon almost all social media exposure for myself, for several reasons. In my opinion, the inescapable commersial advertising is harmful; the superficial illusionary relationships and identities are harmful; the intended, designed stimulation of Craving is harmful. I consider myself as having a responsibility to guard my sense doors, and to be selective of input and "nourishment" I take in.

I live a lay life, at this time. A monastic's life is at least, or more, precious, and as human.

:lotus:
- MettaDevPrac