Moderation in food, 6th precept and weight loss

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
rhinoceroshorn

Re: Moderation in food, 6th precept and weight loss

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

User1249x wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:54 pm
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:21 pm May I ask you if you go to the gym?
You may ask that and no i don't. I just want enough protein to maintain strength and normal bodily function.

Idk exactly how much i need to maintain the tissues but i guess it's ~50-60g.
I'm eating more or less 45-50g generally. I guess I'm not too bad. :tongue:
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Suranga

Post by Suranga »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:45 pm From June to September 1th I have been slowly losing weight. It's 76kg now. I think it will eventually stop around 74 or 75 kg. It's fine.

I think you might interested in this documentary.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Suranga wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:07 am
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:45 pm From June to September 1th I have been slowly losing weight. It's 76kg now. I think it will eventually stop around 74 or 75 kg. It's fine.

I think you might interested in this documentary.
I like his peaceful way of speaking.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
axelsnaxel

Post by axelsnaxel »

You might want to take a look at food combining in Ayurveda. https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/a ... combining/

Some foods don't mix well and hampers the digestion. For example Banana and Milk is a very bad combination for digestion.
samseva

Post by samseva »

I'd suggest to: learn your fats (healthy/unhealthy, omega-3/omega-6, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, saturated, oxidization, cooking/non-cooking fats). And look into the false saturated fat nutritional information that comes from flawed research by Ancel Keys from back in the 1960's, and which is still taken as valid by the commun consumer and by companies/advertisers (low-fat products can be sold at higher prices and attract consumers).

- Carbohydrates will be stored as fat—as a monastic your meals will consist 75% of white/glutinous rice, starch being a good source of carbs
- Fat has 3 calories/gram, as opposed to 1 cal/g for carbohydrates and protein, so more calories per weight/volume
- Don't rely of sugar, but if you eat it, watch out for diabetes (or stop eating it passed a certain age)
- Eggs are an excellent soucre of fat, protein, minerals and vitamins (and omega-3 if the yolk doesn't come in contact with oxygen when cooked—such as boiled in shell/sunny-side-up)

Something that needs to be taken into consideration is your activity levels. A construction worker will require much more calories than a monastic. Although many monks are very active, generally, monks should mostly be meditating and studying—which requires little energy/fewer calories.

However, I think the best thing you can do (from personal experience), is to make your body adapt to a diet much higher in healthy fats—combined with rice. A general introduction to this concept, and an effective and healthy way to eat (minus the parts on low-corb), is Mark Sisson's book The Primal Blueprint.

As a result, you'll be consuming more calories, you'll take more time to digest your meals (no hunger during evenings), your blood sugar will not fluctuate (fat dampens the effect of a large amount of carbs), and especially, your energy levels will stabilize (great for meditation and general well-being).
Last edited by samseva on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
denise

Post by denise »

hello all...lost 15 pounds in these last few months and realized that losing more would be detrimental to my health...and so began adding eggs and dairy to get some fat back into my diet....must confess that eating boxed cookies has not been the best go to food... (ginger snaps for health of course...had an excuse for everything :) )...anyway, am feeling better with these additions and am pretty sure that too much carb and not enough fat was not so good personally...find the balance for your body if you can...
samseva

Post by samseva »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:21 pm ☕ to stop the melatonin secretion. I wake up at 4 am, so It's still pitch dark. Melatonin keeps being secreted, so I need to stop it.
Caffeine doesn't stop the secretion of melatonin. In fact, melatonin isn't stopped from being secreted, but is converted to serotonin during waking hours. If you want to start the conversion of melatonin to serotonin, simply open the lights and look directly at them.

What caffeine does is block adenosine (which is what accumulates throughout the day and what causes sleepiness), since its molecule resembles adenosine, and attaches to its receptors. Caffeine is also a stimulant, in that in forces the adrenals to release hormones such as adrenaline.

I've found that removing even moderate doses of caffeine from my diet has had a positive effect on my day-to-day mental states. Anything more than green or oolong tea is likely to induce some degree of restlessness, loss in quality of mindfulness and so on. I've found that using natural ways of increasing energy/focus to be much healthier and better.
Anukampati

Post by Anukampati »

samseva wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:46 am I've found that removing even moderate doses of caffeine from my diet has had a positive effect on my day-to-day mental states. Anything more than green or oolong tea is likely to induce some degree of restlessness, loss in quality of mindfulness and so on. I've found that using natural ways of increasing energy/focus to be much healthier and better.

I recently took the step of zeroing out caffeine. I'd been reducing it in recent months, but realized that I was still getting a nontrivial amount from 95% dark chocolate that I ate frequently as a snack. For the first week or two after letting that go, I definitely had low energy. But that has since come into balance. Meditation is definitely improved, though I'm sorry to say that it hasn't entirely cured my mind's footloose tendencies.
samseva

Post by samseva »

Frank23 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:06 pm I recently took the step of zeroing out caffeine. I'd been reducing it in recent months, but realized that I was still getting a nontrivial amount from 95% dark chocolate that I ate frequently as a snack. For the first week or two after letting that go, I definitely had low energy. But that has since come into balance. Meditation is definitely improved, though I'm sorry to say that it hasn't entirely cured my mind's footloose tendencies.
Yeah, you go through a mini "withdrawal phase" (lasts 1-2 weeks). After that though, by replacing caffeine with quality sleep, and things like light exercise, and so on, the natural energy is much better, both in quantity and quality—a deeper and calmer type of energy.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

axelsnaxel wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:15 am You might want to take a look at food combining in Ayurveda. https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/a ... combining/

Some foods don't mix well and hampers the digestion. For example Banana and Milk is a very bad combination for digestion.
I stopped drinking milk in late September. In early October I firstly replaced it with homemade yogurt, and now with milk kefir.
Also cut coffee. :coffee:
Last time I weighed myself it was around 74-75 kg, btw.

I moved and I opted not to get a fridge, so I'm doing a lot of fermented food for lunch. The microscopic world is very funny and interesting! It's incredible how bacteria in especial are as useful as plants to us.

Reporting!!!
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

I started to do OMAD yesterday. Let's see what happens!! :stirthepot:

I combined my breakfast with the lunch into a single strange meal that I bet you have never seen in your life! It was a mess but good.

wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Almost a year later, I lost more than 10 kilos following the 6th precept. Some breaks here and there (including today, lmao).

wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
joladhamma

Post by joladhamma »

Hi, curious to know: did you continue following the 6th precept and what is your weight now?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

joladhamma wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:07 pm Hi, curious to know: did you continue following the 6th precept and what is your weight now?
If you click on his profile, you'll see that he has not logged in for almost three years, so don't think he'll see your post. I think he ordained, iirc.
joladhamma

Post by joladhamma »

DNS wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:51 pm
joladhamma wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:07 pm Hi, curious to know: did you continue following the 6th precept and what is your weight now?
If you click on his profile, you'll see that he has not logged in for almost three years, so don't think he'll see your post. I think he ordained, iirc.
I see, good for him if he ordained.